She was introduced to us by our Japanese friend, Eriko, who told us that Miki was going to Vancouver soon in order to study English and experience another culture. We started chatting with her, and she was just lovely! Very enthusiastic and excited about her trip. We asked her where she'd be living, and since she hadn't made any plans yet, I told her that my family was looking to take in a Japanese student. She was thrilled, as were they when I told them about her, and we hooked them up immediately.
Well, Miki went to Vancouver and had an amazing year there. She fit in with the family so well that my parents referred to her as their "Japanese daughter". She also referred to them as her Canadian parents. When I'd talk to my parents on the phone, they sounded like they were having such a great time, and upon returning to Vancouver for Christmas one year, we saw it for ourselves. Miki was like no other Japanese girl we had met. So often Japanese women were timid and sweet, but Miki was what the Japanese would call, "genki" which means a mix between, happy, enthusiastic, and healthy. She was learning loads of English and was picking up tons of expressions and funny intonations from my parents.
When she returned to Japan we were still there, and I met with her a number of times over lunch. We chattered away about Vancouver, and the differences in the cultures of our respective homelands. She made me laugh countless times as she relayed some funny story about her poor worrying mother, Miki herself sounding exactly like my mom does when she talks!
She had picked up so much more than the language. She had learned the conversational "attitude" of a Canadian. I don't know if that sounds hokey or not, but I had really never seen any other Japanese person take on a whole new attitude like I did in Miki. She was still so Japanese, but so funny in her Canadian colloquialisms! (someone correct me if that's the wrong word to use here...)
Miki is wonderful. I miss Miki. I'm so excited that she's coming back to Vancouver when my sister gets married in December! I hope she visits again and again. And I hope to go back to Japan someday and visit her.
3 comments:
Miki is a lovely person. I can't wait to see her again, too.
Hey Laura, your writing is great and your new picture is foxy!!
i want to be you
that last one was me, not some creepo.
Michal
Post a Comment