Thursday, May 11, 2006

rat a tat tat

I was thinking back to my childhood recently and was remembering things about my family, life with three sisters and two hippie parents. It was a good time, and it continues to be. It's amazing to see how things change as we all get older and each of our lives takes on its own flavour. It used to be that I really associated who I was with my place in the family. No matter what happened in school, with friends, or in any other area of life, my family was the home base and the place I derived my confidence, love and value. I always knew that even if things with school were awful, or I was in a fight with a friend, or I had someone picking on me, that it really wasn't a big deal because my family loved me and no matter what, I had my place in the rhythm of it and that's right where I belonged.

Speaking of rhythm, one memory that came to mind recently was our after dinner drum-fests. It happened every now and then that we'd be lounging at the table, mostly done with the meal, perhaps one or two of us were starting to take our dishes from the table, or maybe mom was getting dessert ready. Out of the blue, my dad would start drumming his fingers on the edge of the table. He'd do a funny little beat, and then I'd join in with my own. Then Teresa, and then Anna, and then Michal, and then mom, until all 6 of us were drumming away, the old teetery table squeaking and bouncing up and down with the pounding, but all of us having a great time. We'd erupt into laughter after a while and it would all be over. I don't know why I loved that so much. It was a funny thing to get so much enjoyment out of. Maybe it's just because I loved music, or maybe it's a foreshadowing of my joining a drum circle in the future.... Hah.


Another family event that came to mind usually occurred on a Sunday afternoon, or any other time that we were sitting around the house. Dad would suddenly throw on a cd (or a "record") - Paul Simon's "Graceland" was a popular one, and we'd start a 'round-the-coffee table dance-off. Dad would lead, and we'd all jump up and follow, imitating his actions and dance moves. Woo hooo!!! I can see it now!

"If you be my bodyguard, I will be your long lost pal!!! DOO DOOT DOOT DOO...DOO DOOT DOOT DOO!!! I can call you Betty, and Betty when you call me, you can call me Al.....!!!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good times at the dance train parties!!!!

Teresa