Sunday, June 11, 2006

addiction

I've got a serious addiction. I think I've mentioned before somewhere in this blog that I am happy that I'm not addicted to the tv, but that the internet/checking email is my replacement. Well it has gotten so bad lately! I hardly spend any of Plava's nap time doing anything but checking email, emailing people, checking my friends' blogs, checking email again, and then rechecking my email. It's utterly ridiculous.

I long for a little more freedom from the screen. Maybe I have an addictive personality - well no, I don't think I do. I think I'm just weak in this particular area. The funny thing is, I don't even have much to do. I don't have a list of sites that I visit on a daily basis. I used to be a real computer game chick, but I don't even do that anymore. I just really keep checking my email - and I update this blog, though it's been a pain lately with all the troubles that I've been having.


Well, I guess all it takes is a little effort on my part to stop wasting so much of my day sitting doing nothing at the computer. I have better things I could be putting myself into.

Off I go then. Have a nice Sunday afternoon!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Laura, how I can relate! I think while the girls were sleeping I have checked my email three times. I have even checked your blog as many times to see if there was anything new...alas there was : )

Stacy Kaye said...

Well, you are a busy mommy and wife all of the other times! You have an adorable daughter to chase down, you sing, you paint, you babysit, you camp...you RUN! I say enjoy your indulgence during Plava's naptime...don't feel guilty! I, for one, benefit from your "addiction" because I really enjoy reading your blog!

Michal said...

I can relate. I have just faced my addiction to on-line celebrity gossip. My friend and I would binge and overdose. I decided to go off it, cold turkey, until I had finished the first draft of my research paper. When I went back to it again the pull wasn't as strong so I have given it up. Sorry, Paris, Lindsay, Angelina, and Jennifer!

Andrew Alexander said...

I too, have been giulty of clicking "Check mail"... waiting 30 seconds, clicking "Check mail" again... etc. I'm the kind of person who sends an instant message, and then sits and stares intently at the screen waiting for a response...

In response to your question, yes you can put a link to my blog on yours. I won't be updating it every day... not having an internet connection at home means I can't post on a whim, and manages my own internet addiction.

Could I put a link to your blog on mine?

Laura and Ryan said...

Certainly!!

Adrienne Dawn said...

I am another computer junkie. I simply HAVE to check my email several times a day! I also like to check the blogs I frequent, and being a MK Consultant, I check the company website for announcements and my personal website for orders several times a day as well. I am also constantly researching, things to buy, things to sell on Ebay, where to get the best deals, etc. It drives me crazy sometimes, but I am addicted! I have to be careful not to overdose on it while the kids are awake!

CaliValleyGirl said...

My boyfriend doesn't check his email for days, sometimes weeks at a time. I just don't understand that...I am personally a 10+x a day checker.