Thursday, June 29, 2006

bump, scraaaaape!

There are few things in this world that make me cringe in anticipation and gasp in the moment like the thing we've been dealing with for the past 6 months. Our car continually bottoms out upon our entry into the garage.

When we moved into this place in January, the final layer of asphalt hadn't yet been laid, so we and many of our neighbours built up the road with plywood in order to even out the drive in. The car would do fine as the front tires bumped up onto the driveway, but then our faces would twist and contort as we anticipated the potential scraping of the car on the "hump". (See image)

It was agonizing.



Over the past 6 months, I'd say the car would bottom out about 50 percent of the time - pretty low thanks to me learning just the right angle to pull in, and thanks also to some strategically placed plywood on the street to build up the entrance way.

Today, however, was paving day. The asphalt was being laid down while I was out all day at Sister Teresa's house, hanging out with her and Cousin F. When I returned home, only a half hour ago, I was pleased to see the bright new black asphalt practically shimmering with newness. I drove in and through the complex, noting how lovely it looked, and arrived at our garage door. I couldn't wait to try it out. I couldn't wait for the feeling of a painless garage entry!

In I drove, a smile on my face, anticipating the inches of air between the bottom of the car and the pavement.....

>scraaaaaaape<

AAAARGGGGGHGHGHGHGHGHH!!!

It's like dangling a fish in front of a dolphin, then feeding the poor thing only the fins and tail. Poor car. Poor dolphin. Poor me. >Snif<


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HUGE sympathy Laura. THat really sucks!!!

Teresa

Anonymous said...

how obnoxious!

Nancy said...

We had the same problem with our apartment, so I know exactly what you mean!! The perfect angle, holding your breath a certain way...

We got a new car (actually an old beater) and that solved the problem!
;-)