I've never experienced this before. Not that it's been years since I started blogging or anything. But since the beginning it's been almost a daily part of my life, and often a multiple-times-a-day occurrence! But for the past couple days, I've actually been procrastinating.
I'm not even sure whether I could really call it procrastination. I didn't think about the blog constantly, feeling guilty and that I really needed to get online and write something, but I have allowed myself to be "too busy" or "too hot" or "lacking something interesting to write".
Excuses.
So here I am. I wish I had my latest roll of film developed, because I took some really funny pictures of Plava at a water park recently, but alas, they are still rolled up in a little case awaiting development.
You may be thinking, "What does she mean by 'development', 'roll' and 'film'?"
It's true. Ryan and I have yet to enter the wonderful world of the digital camera (or the "digicam" as I like to call it!). We've got a nice camera as it is, and except for the pain of getting film developed, it's quite a joy.
However, we are starting to think about getting ourselves a digicam.
If I had one, there would be a lot more in-the-moment pictures on this blog of things that happened TODAY, as opposed to last week. If I had one right now, I may have just posted a shot of little Plava, who just woke up in her crib and started crying for me. I would have taken a shot right upon entering the room as she sat up in her crib, hair all askew, huge tears rolling down her cheeks, dripping off her chin, and running down her bare belly. I would have caught the expression on her face as she saw me and started bouncing up and down, holding her arms out to be picked up. I would have gotten a shot of her as she nestled into my arm when I rocked her back to sleep, still dripping with tears. I certainly would have taken a picture of the little cherub that I laid back down in bed, fast asleep, looking as peaceful as if she had never woken up.
But instead, tonight, you'll have to live with the words alone. And words are worth a thousand pictures, are they not?
Have a nice evening.
5 comments:
Isn't it funny how sometimes we start procrastinating on things we were originally doing just for fun. I remember that's how I progressed on the cello. I was procrastinating from painting.
I like the way that you painted the picture of what you "would have" done if you had a digital camera...!
My advice is be careful with getting a digital camera. Especially if, like you said, you enjoy the process of film cameras and going and getting the pictures developed. Even though I swear by digital, the pictures are almost worth less because instead of getting 24 carefully chosen shots... you get 100's of mediocre shots that you end up deleting!
But on the flip side, you will have pictures of EVERYTHING! Which is great for serial bloggers!
Yes, we just recently made the transition to getting a functional digital camera. I say functional, because we've had ones before that we won for free in contests, but they never really worked very well. Our new one is pretty good, but it's supposed to be Jenn's camera more than mine, since I still have a desire for a nice digital SLR. It's been a while since I dusted off my film SLR and did some REAL photography. I should really do that again sometime soon.
By the way, I think I enjoyed your description of the hypothetical photos more than I would enjoy the actual photos. Along the lines of what Andrew said, digital photography has reduced picture taking to a convenience as opposed to a carefully crafted art.
In yet another (different) opinion, I think digital photography has enabled people to become artists! I would not be able to pay for film and development of 300 photos of one sunset. With digital, you can see how they turn out (and with what settings), and then learn from your experimenting!
I also long for a SLR...my canon has been dropped on the concrete one too many times!
You know, there's a whole other blog post in here somewhere, but let me say just this one thing:
Keeping in mind that I am a HUGE supporter of digital, I think the debate between "real" and "fake" photography is actually quite simple, in my opinion.
Ryan's words "carefully crafted art" struck a chord in me. Just because one has taken 10,000 shots and "happens upon" the perfect one doesn't mean they are a good photographer. But of course, not everyone wants to be known as a "good photographer" I think "real" photography (either film or digital) is being able to have enough knowledge to set up the shot, and snap just the one you want. One picture--one perfect shot. That, I think, is real photography.
Digital cameras haven't allowed people to become photographers, just allow anyone to get good shots if they snap enough pics.
I don't consider myself a good photographer at all... I may have a few shots I love... but I've got thousands that I don't really care for.
The point is that everyone who takes pictures wants good ones they can be proud of, and digital camera allow everyone to acheive that.
Anyways.. my two cents... (or three or four)
Post a Comment