Monday, August 14, 2006

groove to the music

Recently, Ryan and I were talking about the music we used to listen to as kids. Who can forget Rafi, Fred Penner, and Sharon-Lois-and Brahm? You know, those memorable songs that when you hear them, bring back memories of dancing through the house, doing the actions, and lipsynching in the mirror?

I was a serious Minipops fan.


Those of you who were also part of this craze may be chuckling remembering the corny pop-gone-kiddle songs sung by enthusiastic little kids, sounding inappropriately adult in their belting out of lyrics from songs like "Eye of the Tiger" and "Betty Davis Eyes".

Yes, Minipops were a hit. I had three records. I distinctly remember throwing my favourite one on the player, counting the lines on the record to make sure I'd place the needle on the right spot, and then running over to the Christmas tree upon which were hanging some very shiny balls. I lipsynched "Stupid Cupid", using a ball as my mirror, for hours.


What? Nothing wrong with that...


Ryan had a particular album that he loved. "Animals" was the name of it, and it's a pity, because it's virtually impossible to find in a Google search. Far too general a name to come up with anything. We eventually gave up and just sang the tunes ourselves. (Ryan's sung them to me so many times that I feel like I grew up listening to "I'm a Galopagus" myself.)


One of my absolute favourite albums, though, was called "Ants'hillvania". It was an "audio musical" and was all about an ant hill and the ongoings of a certain "Antony". (pretty witty eh?)
I searched for it on the internet recently and actually found that they had digitized it and are now selling CDs. So I got it. It took a couple weeks to arrive, but now I have it, and listen to it periodically while I'm driving with Plava.

It's pretty fun, but I realized quickly that I have less tolerance for uppity kids music than I thought - even stuff that I grew up on.
So I've laid it aside for the moment. Plava will probably enjoy it more when she's older anyway.

Yes, music. It can bring back so many memories. What was your favourite music as a kid?

1 comment:

Nancy said...

When I saw that mini-pops record, I laughed out loud! Cuz I had the same one...or was that Angela J...