In our young and wild days, Ryan and I were quite the swing dancers. We started out dating much thanks to the dance, and had a blast for quite a while before we eased out of it.Why did we ease out of it? It was great! We loved it. I guess as time went on, we got engaged, we had a wedding, we moved to Japan, other things just got put ahead of dancing, and we stopped altogether.

Until now. We're signing up for a Lindy Hop class.
Swing itself has a number of varieties, only one of which we learned - East Coast Swing. It's big and fun, filled with kicks and holds and aerials (yes, Ryan actually threw me around and into the air back then!).
But the Lindy Hop is more sultry, packed with intensity but danced smoothly, calmly. It's danced, as far as I've seen, to slightly slower swing or jazz music. And it's MARVELOUS.
We had always liked the look of the Lindy Hop, but because it's a little more complicated than west coast swing, never got into it. We thought of taking a class, but just never did.So we've signed up and have located a local swing club that we can go to regularly to flaunt our moves.
WE ARE SO EXCITED.
Here goes nothing, folks! Maybe this will mean a new life path for us....swing stars?
5 comments:
Yay! You guys will have so much fun. Good for you both for deciding to do this together. I think sometimes it is very easy to fall into the rut and we have to do things like this to break out of it. Swing away guys!
Hey, that's so great... looks like we're all getting into dancing these days.
That's awesome!
I used to go swing dancing every weekend, a bunch of years back. They did a 30 minute West Coast Swing lesson, and then everyone danced the rest of the night!
I've always wanted to learn Lindy Hop, it looks much cooler, and the 8-beat moves work better with the music then the 6-beat West Coast dance.
Okay, this is ridiculous, but I seriously go through withdrawl when you don't write for a few days. I LOVE reading your writing!
That sounds like so much fun! I've always wanted to take ballroom dancing or swing classes or something like that! It's totally not my husband's thing though, so I'm sure it won't ever happen.
Post a Comment