
So. Today. Plava slept her usual hour and a half (or so) at noon and promptly woke up with a loud, "waaa!". I wandered into her room, happy to see her groggy face lined with the wrinkles of her bedsheets, but lamenting the loss of my alone time.
Diaper change. I thought I had smelled some poop on her when I loaded her into the car on my way home from a friend's house. She had fallen asleep there though, so I just transported her to her bed without waking her.
Have I ever mentioned how adorable that is? Undoing the carseat straps, pulling her limp arms out from the shoulder belt, and lifting the sleepy kid onto my shoulder. She doesn't hesitate, or wonder what's going on; she just throws her head onto my shoulder and keeps on sleeping. No meowing from the cat, slamming of the car door, or climbing of stairs will wake her up. I then gently place her in her crib on her tum, cover her in a blanket, and walk out. Aaaaah.....
Back to the story though. I threw her up onto the change table, much to her dismay. She doesn't like getting her diaper changed these days, and upon my looking away, often sits herself up and points out the window, exclaiming "ou-saaaide!" (That's "outside" for those who don't speak baby language)
She did that very thing today, and after tidying up her room a little, I picked her up and walked downstairs with her. Lunch time. While I prepared her lunch, I let her play at her little plastic piano that she was given a couple days ago. She loves it. She presses the keys and it plays a song, to which she dances as she sits there, complete with a huge grin on her face.
When I picked her up to put her in her highchair, I noticed her leg was wet, and figured I must have spilled some water earlier.
She hardly wanted anything to eat. Unusual. She whined through most of the meal, and eventually looked at me and said, "A-dan!" (Can you figure that one out?) I popped her out of her seat and sat her down on the floor. She cried. "UPPIE!!!"
What's going on? I looked at her - nothing out of the ordinary. Then I looked at her piano. I noticed a certain sheen on the floor - shiny, glistening liquid - a pool of it.
What the....?
I picked her up, and lo, she had one seriously naked little bum.
I had forgotten to put her in a diaper.
Now, this may sound funny to you, as it was to me at the time, but as I reflected on it later I really wondered how I could have forgotten such a basic baby need. Strange...
Let me just say though, that I'm so happy that she only leaned over and "tooted" in her highchair. Whew.
3 comments:
HAHA! That is so funny!
That's so funny! I wonder how many other parents have done that!
I wonder too... :)
Post a Comment