Friday, February 02, 2007

Phil, Willie and Sam

What an unusual tradition. Who would have thought that Groundhogs were significant weather-predicting creatures? Who would have thought they were much more than....well, groundhogs? The Delaware Indians did. They thought that Groundhogs were their great ancestors who, unlike themselves, had not emerged from the earth and evolved into men. Then came the German settlers who brought their strange "Candlemas" tradition. Something about the prediction of a longer or shorter spring based on the weather on a given day in late winter.

Put the two together......and POOF!!!

Punxsutawney Phil


Wiarton Willie


Shubenacadie Sam


It's fun, you know? It's a nice tradition. Especially considering that everyone, yes EVERYONE, in the news mentions it at some point.

I have to say that "Groundhog Day" is truly one of my favourite movies. If you want to laugh, and laugh hard (as I do every time I watch it), rent it. You may not like it though. Ryan doesn't. He's not a Bill Murray fan though. But I, oh yes, love it.

Okay, well here's to believing that we're going to get an early spring, thanks to a rodent who didn't see it's shadow!! Yahooooo!

4 comments:

Nancy said...

It's also one of my faves! One of those movies you can see again and again (and I have)!
Hope it's on tonight.

Stacy Kaye said...

Yes! I was thrilled to hear that they didn't see their shadows! Yippee...spring is on the way!

Rhonda said...

Personally, I think Punx. Phil is the cutest little groundhog you posted. I loved the movie "Groundhog Day". I love the part with the nerdy insurance guy, where he keeps stepping in the same puddle.

Stacy Kaye said...

Where, oh where has my Laura gone? Oh where, oh where can she be?