Well, I had my first thought of summer the other day.
"My, this winter has been a long one. Normally I like winter, but I'm downright tired of it now."
Then my thoughts left the moment that my body was in and travelled ahead a few months.
"I can't wait for the smells, the sun, and the bright greens of spring!"
In Japan, springtime brought about a drastic change. We spent months in the dark, deep snow, with streets being flooded by sprinklers in mad attempts at keeping them drivable, and it seemed every time we spent even a few minutes out of doors we got drenched. I don't know how much changing of pants I did when I lived in Japan, but there's something about soggy, wet pant cuffs that makes my skin crawl.
But when spring hit.....OOOOOOOH! It was lovely! The sun came out, glistened and sparkled on all the damp surfaces, and brought our little town of Shibata to life! It seemed to happen so quickly. Suddenly the blossoms were out in full bloom and everywhere you looked, people were crowded under them doing their yearly "hanami" (looking at flowers) which essentially meant they picnicked under the trees until all hours of the night, and until all the blossoms had fallen. The Japanese LOVE the blossoms, and why not? They're beautiful! Then the blossoms would snow down on the city. They covered everything - cars, streets, road signs. Shops would have to close for a few days due to being "blossomed in". Okay, no.
But once the blossoms left, the really bright stuff started happening. The trees, I'm not kidding, started looking illuminated. They sprouted leaves so bright green that they looked like they were full of little light bulbs. They'd shine in the sun, their springy qualities ushering in the flowers and fresh smells that were such a relief after the cold months.
Aaaah, spring. Come!!
What does the summer have in store for me? Well, we'll be going on a trip down south to the Oregon coast with Ryan's family. We'll be having a big old family reunion with aaaall the little kiddles. There were 5 born within about 4 months, and this summer they'll all be 2. Not to mention, there have been a few more additions since then - 3 to be exact and another on the way. It's going to be crazy and wonderful!!!
Apart from those plans though, I don't know. Perhaps some sunny days at the beach. Maybe a camping trip or two. I'd love to get out to the island (Vancouver Island, for those of you not from around here) and do a little camping there.
We will see, we will see!! Until then, I'll have to keep blogging about my days in the rain and wind, and keep hoping the sun pops out every now and then!
Tata!!
3 comments:
If it makes you feel any better, you'll be glad to know that blossoms have already started here downtown near my work. Trees already covered in pink just waiting to POP into action!
I too am looking forward to summer! My parents will be coming up here to visit for the first time since my wedding. I can't wait to show off this amazing place! Kev and I will be going on a trip of some sort with his side of the family...we aren't sure what yet but it's looking like maybe an Alaskan cruise. Sweet! I have always wanted to go there. We always go on an annual camping trip with Cam and Angela. Last year we hit the Island and it was awesome! This year we might head down to the states...perhaps the Oregon coast. We fell in love with it last year.
Come on, Spring!
You guys have got it so easy. We're in for at least another month or two of snow, storms and -10˚ tempertures.
Post a Comment