Friday, March 16, 2007

Dear body,

It's been a while since we've had a good chat. However, it seems like you're trying to tell me something lately. What it is still leaves me confused, but I sense there's something you'd like to say. Perhaps it's "blog more". Perhaps it's "think more". Perhaps it's "I'm going to toy with you like a cat toys with a dead mouse."

Whatever it is, would you mind getting it off your chest? I'm tired of lying in bed for hours trying to fall asleep. My legs get tired and don't want to move any more. My eyelids grow heavy and don't want to stay open any more. My brain is happy to place all the day's busy thoughts on the "tomorrow burner" and linger on sweet thoughts of what I'll name my future children, and yet, you won't allow me to fall asleep.

Do you know how early I wake up? Of course you do. You experience it every day. 5:30 or 6:00, right body? And is it because I have a toddler waking me up? NOOOOO, it's because YOU decide it's time to awaken and keep me from falling back asleep. Do you realize that on most nights I'm only getting about 6 or 7 hours of sleep? Do you know that I need far, far more to feel rested?

Tomorrow, body, I have to actually get out of bed and moving at quite an early hour. I've got things to do, places to get to, people to see. I can't afford to have another one of these nights. I'd like to feel coherent when I wake up.

I've held up my end of the bargain, body. I've cut out coffee, and other caffeine-ridden drinks. I've gotten to bed at regular times every night. I've avoided eating before bedtime. I've brushed and flossed my teeth.

So now it's your turn, body. Time to loosen up and give sleep a chance. It's not so bad!! It actually feels really nice! Come on now!

Let's go then, off we go. Beddie-boo time. Night-night.

Thanks to Meg for the inspiration.

2 comments:

Stacy Kaye said...

Oh, I'm sorry you are having such troubles. You will be in my prayers tonight.

Meg said...

Sometimes it's good to let your parts know you've had enough!!