I have yet to eat it, but when I do, and provided it's as delicious as it smells, I'll post the recipe....
(update:) The chili was great, if not a little bit watery. Here's the recipe.

Holy Moley Chili (taken from "6 O'clock Solutions" cookbook)
3 Tbsp vegetable oil (use canola or olive oil man. way healthier)
3 medium onions, chopped
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp ground cumin (actually use freshly ground cumin if you can)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 medium green bell peppers, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped fine
3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (WEEEEEEE!!!!)
1 (796 ml) can tomatoes (undrained), chopped
1 cup water (you may want to omit this - my chili was a little too soupy)
1 (398 ml) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (398 ml) can black beans, drained and rinsed (I love to just eat these beans plain.)
2 cups fresh or frozen whole kernel corn
1/2 cup bulgur
Salt & pepper
Plain low-fat yogurt
Chopped fresh cilantro
In large, heavy saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, chili powder, cumin and cayenne pepper (and take a big sniff!! YUM!). Saute for 5 minutes or until onions are tender, stirring occasionally. Add green peppers and garlic, saute for 1 minute. Add cocoa, tomatoes and water (and take another big sniff! OOOH LALA!!) and bring to a boil. Add kidney and black beans, corn and bulgur. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until bulgur is cooked. Add salt and pepper to taste. To serve, top with a dollop of yogurt (don't you love the word "dollop"?) and sprinkle with cilantro.
Okay, a couple of my own alterations: I didn't find bulgur at the store, so I didn't put that in. Also, I wanted it meaty, so I added ground beef in the first step (with the onions).
SOO GOOOD!!
7 comments:
I was going to make plain ol' chili tomorrow.. but I think I'll make your chocolate chili instead.. any excuse to put chocolate into stuff.
Bacon cookies exists.. as do meat milk shakes. (shudder) Some people go too far.
Wow quite the presentation! Look scrumptuos! You should make a recipe book!
~Share~
Could you taste the cocoa powder in it?
So Laura, what exactly does the cocoa do? Does it taste sweet? I'm going to try this recipe when we get back next week. Intriguing for sure!
Corrie
You can't actually taste a chocolatey flavour, but it gives the chili a really nice aroma and edge to it, especially mixed with all the other spices.
It made me think of the movie "chocolat" where the chocolatier woman would put chilis in her chocolate. I tried a chili-spiced chocolate recently and was quite intruigued!
Just made the chili.. Smells yummy. Tastes yummy, too.. not weird at all! :-) As per the instructions, my first big sniff tickled my nose. It was fun.
Oh good, that confirms that I'm not crazy. Thanks for the update, Helen! :)
Post a Comment