Wednesday, May 16, 2007

reminiscing

I was just looking over some old photos from Japan, remembering the fun times we had there. It feels like it's been so long since we lived there. Two years now seems like two weeks in my memory, and our absence from home seems now to be so quick.

I would really like to travel again. I mean really travel. Well, I mean go away for longer than a week or two. Ryan and I talk sometimes about the idea of doing another long-term trip, however long that might be. It would be much harder for us to be away for long periods of time now that we have Plava though, because her relationships with our siblings and parents is really important to us. Not to mention the people we've become close with over the past year and a half since moving to our current abode and going to The Church at Southpoint.

By the way, I think The Church at Southpoint is DA BOMB. Really. Check it out here.

But travelling, living overseas, experiencing another land, culture and lifestyle are so alluring to me. Japan was an experience that was really quite out of this world. I don't mean that in the cute cliche sense either. It really felt like we had left what we knew of Planet Earth (which was pretty much The West) and entered another galaxy. Ryan had done some travelling before, and I had a wee bit under my belt, but neither of us had ever been to Asia, and Asia itself seems to be so different from other places that you have to experience it, in all it's diversity, by itself. And we didn't even venture out much from Japan! Thailand, yes. Saipan, for a quick few days. But I mean, we didn't get to China or Hong Kong or Singapore or Vietnam or any of the other Asian countries.

But it's not Asia that draws me. What does draw me? Africa draws me. India draws me. South America draws me. Eastern Europe draws me. The Middle East draws me. (should that have been capitalized?) Hmmm, that's quite a few different lands that are currently drawing me. I guess pretty much I'd go anywhere that was DIFFERENT from here.

I love Canada; don't get me wrong. It's not that I want to escape. In fact, travelling really makes me appreciate certain things about Canada that I had forgotten about. It DOES make me a more critical person in terms of some of the things we LACK, but overall, I'm very happy to return home. Canadians are well liked around the world, so it seems, and it's a pleasure to be able to tell people where I'm from.

But to travel again. Yes, it would be great. With our little growing family? Wonderful.

Something that's occurred to me recently is that I've never done any kind of humanitarian travel in my life. That is something I'm feeling the urge to do. I want to go and offer myself and provide some kind of support or help to people that I CAN help. I often feel like I have nothing to offer, but I bet I could find something useful to do. :)

Oh, the stirring of my desires!!! I can only hope and pray that an opportunity comes up someday soon that will sweep us both off our feet and send us off exploring the world again. But not for TOO long. Because Plava will miss her Nana, Papa, Grandma and Grampa. And so will we!

2 comments:

Stacy Kaye said...

I feel your pain...or desires...or whatever it would be called! I so want to travel but I think it becomes tough the more entrenched we become in our jobs, lives, etc. I always admire those people that just up and go, as you and Ryan did. I talked to Kevin about doing the teaching exchange to Australia. It seems intriguing but then we start going well, what about this or that? What about this plan? Sometimes I think it would be much easier to throw our plans into the wind and watch them simply blow away!

I too have traveling desires. I have traveled to quite a few different places, yet I feel my thirst for experiencing new things is never quenched. Africa is HIGH on my list, as are returning to Asia and going to Australia. I definitely plan to go to South America at some point, because the thought of using my Spanish for something worthwhile intrigues me. Kevin loved Ecuador when he went and he always talks about returning. Maybe we will...

Rhonda said...

I must say, I do desire to travel too (but on a much smaller scale). Steve and I aspire to see all of BC we can, usually planning our next Gulf Islands or Wells Gray camping trip.... It's funny how there can be so much to see and explore in one's very own backyard, and it's quite addictive! Of course, you certainly don't get the cultural diversity you would by travelling overseas....