Friday, June 22, 2007

the spiritual gift of flossing

I am rather weak in the discipline area of my life.

I mean, I don't really know many people who would really claim that they're very disciplined, but I tend to really not be good at being disciplined. I often start something with vigour, but soon enough, as it gets boring or tiresome, I don't have too much trouble just "letting it go".


But recently, I've become extremely disciplined in one thing. I don't know why, or how I did it, but I did.


I am a very, VERY disciplined flosser.

Yes, flossing! I do it every night, without complaint or question! (No, I don't do it in the morning. I mean, how much gunk can you catch while you're sleeping?)


It started quite some time ago, just before my last teeth cleaning I think. It was my attempt at appearing like I was a constant flosser. You know, floss religiously for two weeks prior to cleaning to get your gums all toughened up.... I remember that when I worked at a dental office one of the dental assistants said that it only took a week or two to really get your gums in shape. I felt like I had learned a big, dark secret!


So yes, my cleaning came and went, and lo' I continued, and continued, and still continue 6 months later! There has hardly been a night go by that I've missed. I'm quite proud of myself.

Ryan and I, we have a quirky flossing relationship. There are two things that play into this quirkiness.


1. Ryan is quite competitive. He's competitive with everything in some way or another (at least this is my wifely opinion!!).


2. Ryan is not a disciplined flosser.



Can you see it? Can you?

Every night we stand next to each other and brush our teeth. He finishes and goes on to mouthwash or some other bedtime task, and I proceed to pull out the floss. As soon as he sees me pull it out, he lets out a flabbergasted sigh and grabs the dispenser himself, unable to let me "win" the flossing battle.

It's quite funny. He's pretty much incapable of allowing me to floss without doing it himself!

Well, I suppose he'll have me to thank for his pearly white teeth and strong gums at his next cleaning, now won't he?
I guess there is some good to a strong competitive nature! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are some white teeth that are being flossed in those pics.

You both are an inspiration. I'm sure that once I have a bathroom sink I will be really disciplined in flossing too. HAHAHA!

I can only aspire...

Teresa

Anonymous said...

Those are some white teeth that are being flossed in those pics.

You both are an inspiration. I'm sure that once I have a bathroom sink I will be really disciplined in flossing too. HAHAHA!

I can only aspire...

Teresa

Anonymous said...

I see only I have commented on the flossing blog. BUt let me tell you Laura, I have been moved. I have started flossing too. Thanks for the inspiration!!! I even flossed on our camping trip. I missed one night because I lost the floss. BUt I found it and made things right in the morning. Goodtimes. And all this before the bathroom vanity is finished!!