This summer, Ryan started a new job. He's working for a university now. This has some perks. I, for one, can take one course per semester for free. Plava can take 5 courses per semester for free. We're considering skipping preschool and putting her straight into university.
But really, this is very exciting. It's exciting because I would love to take a course per semester to work towards my degree. And I'd love to have it for free! Perhaps soon. Perhaps after this baby is born and we adjust to a new kind of family, I'll do that.
Our car being in the shop still (yes, 5 days later), I've had some serious time to sit around and think. I had quite a tough day yesterday actually, no thanks to that thinking. Actually, I believe it also may have been related to the fact that I forgot to take my prenatal multivitamin the night before. I could be wrong, but something tells me that the sudden depressed, weepy feelings I had all day were not just because I was stranded at home.
I was questioning what felt like the very essence of who I was, what I'm worth, what I've accomplished (or not) in my life. I felt ashamed for not being a go-getter with things that I love to do. I'm not very competitive, and have never stepped out and tried to push my way into the spotlight the way one might need to if they wanted to be a musician (to some professional degree) or an artist (to some professional degree) or whatnot. I tried to convince myself, to no avail, that some people aren't competitive. Some people are content to ride life rather than harness it. Is that all that bad?
I started looking at what I HAVEN'T done. I'm NOT a teacher. I'm NOT writing music and performing it. I'm NOT selling my art. Most importantly, I'm NOT going full throttle towards doing any of these things.
I'm an at home mom.
That reality left me speechless and disappointed. I felt like a waste. I felt pitiful.
Then Plava woke up from her nap and snuggled with me for a while. The feeling of being hugged and loved by her was all I needed right then. Although the feelings of self-pity didn't disappear, something significant occurred to me at that moment.
I have heard countless other stay-at-home moms talk about their feelings of self worth and dissatisfaction - mostly because of the way our culture views us, not because the job itself is not fulfilling - and I have NEVER been able to relate. I have always loved being at home with Plava. I have always felt that it's a meaningful place to be, as long as I'm not sitting like a sloth all day. I have always felt that bringing a new person into the world and introducing them to it thoughtfully, carefully, patiently, and with love, is a job worthy of more respect than many other jobs.
This thought led to another thought, and another, and soon I realized that it was not me thinking those negative thoughts about myself. It was my hormones.
Hey, hormones. PISS OFF!!!!
....
Was that too crude?
Sorry, but my whole day was emotionally flopsy for no good reason. Last night I remembered to take my pill and today I'm much, much more even keeled. (I have no idea still if the lack of vitamins could affect me like that. If not, it may have just been a wacky coincidence.)
I was an utter basket case. I did, however, take something valuable from that experience. I really do want to go to school. I really do want to work towards a personal goal. I'd like to be a teacher one day. I'd like to be working my way towards that, however slowly, so that I get somewhere with this goal of mine.
So perhaps within the next year I'll start. A night class, once or twice a week, sounds marvy to me. Wish me luck with that plan. I have all intentions of following it through.
3 comments:
Did you write "piss" on your blog. Ack - my virgin eyes...
Hey, I was just reading the endnotes in Sex God (Rob Bell's new book) and found something very interesting. In fact, I think the footnotes were more interesting than the book (review to follow on the Southpoint blog). Anyway, he was talking about how Christians parse the 10 commandments into two groups: spiritual commandments and human commandments. Jews make the same split but include the 5th commandment (honour mom and dad) in the spiritual grouping. This is because when you make and raise a child you are creating and nurturing a spiritual entity: a soul. God has given us this amazing power - a truly divine power - to create something of spirit and flesh. That's pretty cool...and a little daunting.
So, I can't think of anything more worthy than that. Kinda makes painting and music, mere material creations, seem a little trivial. I just hope all you stay-at-home caregivers out there take your jobs seriously. My boys need some good women to marry some day :).
Oh yeah, and you can still create beautiful paintings and write lovely music. I doesn't have to sell to be worthwhile.
Laura, i think i should take this moment to tell you what i really think of you....
You are one cool chicky! You're creative, you're super funny, you're an excellent writer. You're musical and artistic and sometimes you like to roll down fields dressed like palm trees. You're adventurous and not someone to sit around and do nothing (except for recently because of the car issue). But i like you best because you're quirky. You've got the GREATEST quirk around; like no other i know. And for this, you are one of my favourite peoples.
Yes, you are a stay-at-home mom, but that is the HARDEST job in the world. Ask any mother...she'll tell ya! (you'll have to ask a mother, but i actually don't know from experience. But after a few hours with my nephews and neice, i am POOPED, so i can't imagine doing it as a full time job)
So, next time your hormones take over, just read this comment (very very loooong comment) and tell those hormones to PISS OFF! :D
MWAH! (that's a kiss)
Wow. Have I ever got some good people in my life. Thanks for your comments, you guys. I felt very honored to receive them.
Post a Comment