We had an appointment at the bank yesterday. Nothing serious - just sitting down and talking through some of our options in terms of shifting debts here and there, changing accounts around, and piddly-potting with different ideas. It wasn't going to have to be very long, no important papers to sign, no lengthy explanations of things in Financial Institution Language (FIN). It should have been a simple thing.
We arrived early, which would have been fine if it weren't the fact that we had the first appointment. The bank wouldn't open until it was time for us to go in, and that meant killing time with a wiggly toddler and a rather uneasy newborn. We got out the stroller and decided to go for a walk to kill the time. It wasn't long until I realized how lightly I was dressed for such an excursion, and I began to insist on us going into the dollar store that we wandered past.
"We could get Plava a little book to occupy her while we're trying to have the meeting." I suggested.
And so we did. A twinkly, sparkly book about stars. It would surely do the trick.
It was nearly time. Pito was wiggling uncomfortably in the sling, and I was searching the outside area for a possible place to nurse her before we went in so as to keep her calm. No such luck. They were ready for us as soon as we walked in the door. So in we went, and sat down with a nice looking man to talk.
Plava, first of all, was not interested in her book. Pito, as one might imagine, was no calmer sitting in that room than she had been outside. So there I stood in the corner of the room behind Ryan, jiggling a wiggly crying baby, Plava pulling on my leg and whining, and trying to grab Pito's feet as they passed her by.
"Plava!" I whispered, "Please don't touch Pito."
"BUT I WANT TO TOUCH HER!!!!!" She wails.
Ryan and I exchange looks that said the exact same thing, "What the heck are we doing?"
I managed to get Plava calmed down, but still Pito was crying.
Nursing her would do it. It would solve this problem. That was what was running through my head. I had a big blanket. Would it be so awkward here? I look at the man. He's chatting away, seeming a little uncomfortable with the constant clatter. Yes, he would most certainly be uncomfortable with me nursing in here.
"Waaaaaaa!!!!"
Okay, that's it. I was going to do it. I sat down, threw the blanket over my shoulder, and got her latched on as fast as any mother of 10 could have done. Aaaaaaaah, it was quiet. We chatted, I tried to pretend that I was totally focused on what the guy was saying, and he tried to pretend that he had no idea what could be hiding under my blanket.
(Not a boob! NOOOO!!!!)
Then she lost the latch. Arg!! I tried to give it back to her but the slurps, smacks, and gobbling noises that ensued left us all in silence. I gave up. Yes, I just closed up shop and returned to my spot in the corner, jiggling away.
AaaaaaaH! We finally finished. It hadn't been long. It hadn't been even that important, but it had certainly been yet another learning experience. I don't even know what lesson was to be learned - maybe not to bring the kids to a meeting at the bank - maybe to expect the worst and hope for the best?
We got out of there in a hurry and as soon as the kids were clicked into their seats and the car doors had been closed, we burst out laughing. What can we say? We're still new at this two kids thing!
_______________________________
Plava has certainly been changing. It seems like the addition of sibling has caught up with her. She loves Pito, no doubt, but she is full of angst in other ways. It seems she's trying to break the rules sometimes. Where she knew before that jumping on the couch wasn't allowed, now she jumps and says, "What I'm doing mama??". She's very loving towards Pito, but very intense. She gets right into her face and just loves her loves her loves her!! It often makes Pito upset and she starts crying. But if I tell Plava not to bother her sister, SHE starts crying. Ack! I'm trying to find a balance between stopping her from malling the baby, and allowing her to love her, even at the expense of a happy baby. Pito won't break, but she very well might bite back one day....
Life will change again on Monday morning. Ryan goes back to work after a glorious 6 weeks off, and I will be at home with two. I admit that I'm a little anxious about it. It will be a real learning curve. Actually, in some ways, I'd like to just get on with it. The sooner it starts, the sooner I can learn how to mother two at once. Ryan also has to adjust to not being with the family constantly and having to go to work every day. It's tough - these times. It's times like now that we always start thinking up brilliant plans to go travelling or something - something that could possibly keep us living life together and having fun!! :) But, alas, our current life doesn't include crazy traveling adventures, so back to work it is.
Do think of us next week. Think, pray, send good thoughts our way - whatever your habit. It will be a wild ride, these next couple months, and undoubtedly I'll be writing some colourful blog posts. So stay tuned!!
5 comments:
Oh I felt so anxious and uncomfortable for you as I read about the bank. I was relieved when you laughed. Whew!!!
I'll pray for you. You can do it! Remember once I said having two is so busy. I looked at you with just Reesa and said "If I just had one, I would have so much time on my hands." You told me that I wouldn't. What you have always seems to fill your plate. You told me that if I had one I would think how could anyone have 2. I remember that conversation. With that in mind I am cheering for you and knowing that you can do it. Feel free to call if you need a sanity break.
Love Teresa
I'm sure that after the initial shock, you'll do great! I remember how scared I was when Ted went back to work when Miles was 3 weeks old.
But... Nothing beats having both parents at home. Ahh.. the week and a half between Christmas and New Year's was heavenly! Too bad we're not all independently wealthy.
I was laughing with you! I was also glad to hear last night that your first day with the kids by yourself went well. I was being serious when I said you are a natural. I think that Plava and Pito are truly blessed to have such great parents! :)
Ha so funny. I also tried to open up the breastaurant whilst talking to a financial advisor. I can relate...but I only have one kid!
...breastaurant. I love it. I've never heard that term before.
Post a Comment