Tuesday, February 05, 2008

eat, eat, eat some more

The past couple weeks, Ryan and I have been gorging. No, not gorging, but GORGING. I'm talking about seriously bad eating people. Seriously bad.

I don't know what started us off. I don't think it was because I had just reached my pre-pregnancy weight again (shocking after only 6 weeks!!!) and felt like celebrating. I don't know if it was because Ryan was feeling the pain of going back to work and needed to do some "emotional eating". (In Japan, they'd probably make a cool new word out of that term, like "emo-ting".) No, I really don't know why we started, but for a couple weeks there were cookies being baked, chocolate bars in the cupboards, big bags of chips that had sat for months in our pantry being broken out, coffee and hot chocolate being consumed at a shocking pace, and then what did we do? We went and bought an entire chocolate cake at the store, along with a 2 litre Pepsi, and we ate and drank the two of those all by ourselves. No guests to share it with, and we hardly gave Plava any either because "it's not healthy".

Oooooo that sounds like we're some nasty buggers, doesn't it? No, we mostly kept it out of her sight so she didn't ask. Hah!

A morning or two after that cake was consumed, Ryan looked at me and said, "I want some chocolate cake...." and what did I do? I offered to make one!! So that night, we started in on our SECOND chocolate cake to be mostly consumed by us.

SHOCKING!!

You may not be aware, but we really don't eat much junk food. Sometimes we'll have some ice cream for dessert - though I'd say it was only about 3 nights out of the week. Sometimes we'll make some special dessert like apple crisp, but we only do that every couple of months. We rarely eat chips or candy, and pop (or "soda" for our American friends) is practically unheard of.

So this past few weeks has been crazy!!

I told Ryan that after that second cake was consumed and gone, that was it. We were stopping.

"Speak for yourself!" He quacked back with a grin.

Okay then, it was up to me. That was fine - no more junk, or at least not as much as we'd been having. I planned to go back to the small amount that I was eating before.

So, my snacks changed from a slice of chocolate cake to this:

(Ryan thinks it's weird that I stack my cheese and crackers like this. I have no idea why.)


I was doing great. It had been a whole two days. Things were going well. I had been healthier, much healthier. I ate a couscous and chickpea lunch today! Then, this evening, after Plava was in bed and I was checking email downstairs, someone knocked on the door.

Ryan was out, and I'm always a little concerned about opening the door when I'm alone in the house with the two kids. I peeked through the peep hole but we still haven't taken down our Christmas wreath (for shame!!) so I couldn't see who it was. I decided that I'd take my chances.

I opened the door and there stood my friendly next door neighbour - Mr. F. Mr. F. is a great guy - married to a great woman and they're really great neighbours. Not only are they great neighbours, but Mr. F is a baker, and is just opening up a new bakery. He smiled and handed me two huge bags and a flyer for his bakery's grand opening.

Have I mentioned that I love my neighbours?

So, yeah. There were some delicious looking pastries in there, along with some seriously delicious looking bread and buns. WOW!! I think I might have to temporarily revisit my naughty eating days. :)

2 comments:

Dan said...

OK, so why haven't we been invited over lately? Did we not feed you on Saturday? BTW, I'm not hungry at all but am seriously considering stacking up some cheese and crackers just to look at.

Oh, and I started to think I was going blind at the end of your post. Turns out you switched fonts on me :).

Anonymous said...

FOOD....Argh. I should be dropping a pound or two before we go on our cruise at the end of March but it's all just sooooo tempting! Especially when you have a big party and there's so much leftover food that it would be a shame to waste. I have to resist, besides it's not my responsibility to finish it all right?