Plava is just getting older and older. It amazes me the things she comes out and says these days. I'm also amazed at how her play is changing. She's getting creative and imaginative. Just the other day, she started jumping around in the kitchen as I was making dinner.
"MAMA!!! I'M JUMPING AROUND WITH THE KIDS!!!" She screeched excitedly.
"Wow! Are you playing with kids there?"
"YEAH!! I AM!!" And on she jumped. Then she and all "the kids" fell down on the ground and laughed their heads off. Up again and ran around, and fell down again on the floor.
I looked at her and suggested something. "Plava, would you like to go out on to the porch with the kids and have a little picnic?"
Her face suddenly went solemn, then her eyebrows raised and her eyes widened and she said, "A picnic with the kids? Outside? YEAH!!!"
I helped her get her sweater and shoes on, and she then went and got all her sweaters and coats out of the closet and pretended to put them on her friends, who she had now named, "Nancy", "Gee-Gee" and "Lisa". She then went and got all her shoes to share with her friends too, telling me in a loud, excited voice about how she was sharing her sweaters and shoes with her friends.
I gave her a few little crackers in a bowl and a cup of water to take out, instructing her to share the snack with her friends, and off she went outside. Every now and then she would call me through the window and tell me that she was having a picnic with the kids!!!
Yesterday, it was freezing cold outside, so she and the kids had a living-room pretty-dress picnic. Thankfully I kept her from bringing all her pretty dresses downstairs to share with her friends. She herself wore a shiny light blue number and danced and twirled around for a good hour.
I have to admit I've had moments of wondering whether she's so lonely at home alone with me and Pito that she has to "create" friends, but then remind myself that this kind of play is amazingly creative and actually really good for her development. It's so fun watching what she does and what she thinks up. It's amazing what she can do with so little to play with, creating people and things with her imagination.
Pito sits in the swing or on the couch and watches Plava flitting by, smiling and giggling with the wiggly-ness of her big sister. I love to see them together these days. Their little relationship is growing and changing and it brings me such joy to watch. Plava has settled down with the mauling and Pito doesn't seem to remember anything. On the contrary, she's thrilled when Plava comes and plays with her, even if it's a little too in-her-face.
Fun times, these. I love these girls!! What will the future hold for their relationship? I didn't really anticipate being excited to watch this all happen between them, but it's so much fun.
YAY FOR SIBLINGS!!! HERE'S TO A COUPLE MORE DOWN THE ROAD!!! (Eeep...did I really say that?)
1 comment:
I remember my little sister having one very good imaginary friend. Her name was "Person Brunner." She and Person had a GREAT time together! They did all sorts of things together. She always seemed to have a lot of fun. I think it's a normal and beneficial stage of life, and good for you for encouraging it!
Post a Comment