I've been coming to grips with something about myself lately. I really have an inferiority complex. I mean it. I've been analyzing myself and the way I think and work, and the things I've done (or not) in my life so far, and have come to some stark realizations. It's quite shocking, actually.
All my life I've loved music. LOVED music. I played piano growing up, and violin, and here and there took up different instruments - guitar, mandolin, clarinet (okay, I didn't really get very far with that one)... I love music. Throughout my life I've written music. I've played it (very sheepishly) for people that I'm close to, and have gotten great encouragement.
I've also been in love with art, specifically painting, for years. Through school I excelled in art classes and loved getting positive feedback from teachers and friends, and I've continued to paint into my adulthood. Those who have seen my art have been, again, very encouraging.
I really love writing. I love having this blog. I love writing about life, love, kids, family, work, whatever. Those who give me feedback are very encouraging.
I love sewing. I've never had a single day of actual training, but watched my oldest sister sewing throughout my childhood, and picked up enough to be able to make some pretty beautiful things. People who I show the blankets and slings to are really encouraging.
So, if I can sing, play music, write music, paint beautiful paintings, write, and sew wonderful things, why haven't I made myself a career out of any of these things?
BECAUSE I HAVE AN INFERIORITY COMPLEX.
I am afraid that if I present my creations to the world, be it music, art, writing or sewing, someone who is far better at it than I am will scoff and say, "You have no idea what you're doing, and it shows."
That freaks me out, man.
You know in reality TV competitions, like Designer Superstar Challenge, where there's usually one person who doesn't have the education behind them but is really good at producing a beautiful product? They ALWAYS get booted out eventually, and the reasoning is ALWAYS that they "just don't have the education/technique/background that is needed to make it". That's how I feel!!
When I'm making something, I'm so proud of myself! I love the process of creating and the feeling it gives me of being alive and doing what I was born to do! I love the energy that wells within me as I paint a magnificent amber sky on a canvas, or inspect the seem I just sewed and swell with pride at the clean, straight line, or re-read a sentence I've just written that's particularly funny.
Why am I so afraid? I wish I had the answer. I can certainly see back in my past the way this inferiority complex has flourished. Through school I was not a strong academic student in spite of trying so hard. By graduation I was exhausted with trying, and failing, to force myself into the shape that teachers wanted me to be. My short stint in college after a few years of working proved even more stressful as I revisited feelings of resentment and anger towards being scored badly on my hard work, on assignments that I felt I had poured myself into.
When Ryan and I went to Japan, I went along as a "spouse". I was the one English teacher in our city that didn't have a degree, and even though I loved it and knew I was good at teaching, I felt inadequate because of the lack of education. When we got back, I got a job as a receptionist - perhaps the job that is famed most as a source for the 'inferiority complex'.
I then got pregnant and left the work force, and was faced with the feelings of inferiority that so many stay-at-home moms deal with when they compare themselves and their "line of work" to women who work out of the home.
Then I started working as the administrative assistant for my church, where the whole darn company was being held together by my administration and bookkeeping, and as I went through the steep learning curve trying to get comfortable with the job, I constantly had this feeling like I was fooling them all - I don't actually have a clue what I'm doing and they think I've got it in the bag!!
It's not true. All these feelings are just garbage. I know what I'm doing in my admin job. I know that I'm doing very important and worthy work staying home with my daughters. I know that I was a dang good receptionist. I know that I was a dang great teacher in Japan. I also know that although I didn't get top grades in the academics in school, I was REALLY DANG GOOD in the arts.
This has been a really hard blog post to write. Hard because it was embarrassing talking so well of my talents at the beginning, and hard because coming to grips with these feelings is like yanking my hair out in large chunks. I know these feelings and thoughts I have are wrong, but it is so hard for me to shed them and truly believe that what I have to offer the world is worthwhile and beautiful.
I read a small article that my brother-in-law cut out of the paper recently. It was a letter - someone asking how to go about supporting their desire to follow their creative heart while still supporting themselves financially in a well-paying job. The answer, very paraphrased, was, "How dare you keep your talents to yourself? Art is meant to be shared with the world."
So, I will try really hard to drive away this black cloud that rolls in whenever I start getting some big ideas. I will try with all my might to ignore that voice in my head that tells me that what I create is NOT worthy of the world. I will share what I have. I will. Just wait and see.
7 comments:
Wow...I have so many thoughts as I read your blog of yesterday! First of all there are two sides to everything....amazing how you had the courage and the know-how to teach English in Japan without any formal training. I had the privilege of watching you in action and it was awesome. You had the added stress of finding a job there and you did so amazing with all the different side jobs that you had. Who else would have the courage to teach adults, preschoolers, elementary schoolers etc. etc. I can only speak from my perspective but that was incredible. Ryan had everything arranged but you had to arrange your own job.
Secondly, your music and art are also amazing and you are very talented. So what if it hasn't become a career (yet). It is being enjoyed by many but most importantly the process is giving you much joy and satisfaction. I firmly believe that when the timing is right, God will open the doors for you. As I hear you tell excitedly about the craft show you are entered in....seems to me like things are constantly evolving and you are following your heart and God's heart.
Thirdly, it's obvious that you are doing a great job for the church and again without any formal training. Give yourself a huge pat on the back and keep trucking!
Your sewing too is a work of art as well as practical so many people will soon enjoy the fruits of your labor. You have many, many natural creative talents and you are using them so what more can a person ask for? Congratulations on your perseverence. As a busy mom you are still finding time to let the creative juices run and that in itself must be rewarding.
Why must we all be so hard on ourselves?
CK
Hmmm...this was an interesting post for me to read as in some ways I felt like I was reading about my own feelings in some things! I think that we often all have these feelings. I have wondered why it is so hard for me to accept compliments on things I can do, abilities I have. I also have had feelings of thinking I have everyone SNOWED! I have had so many people tell me what a great teacher I am, and today some students came up to me to express their disappointment that I would not be their teacher next year, saying that was the only reason they took the course. On the inside, though, I still compare myself and wonder if I really am a good teacher...and I have that "so called training!"
I wanted to affirm your wonderful, creative talents. I have long thought that having those creative abilities is such a gift. I think those students that are excelling in the arts are truly blessed, for it IS something that they can carry on throughout life. I was a sports girl, and I loved those experiences, but I can't tell you HOW many times I wish I had continued on with my piano lessons-for I had a TRUE gift-instead of giving them up for grade 7 and 8 basketball. I can't remember the last time I picked up a basketball!
I can't wait to get my Laura TK original art work and blanket for my baby-it will be worth every penny, and I need to tell you that I can't even count how many times I have told friends about your incredible art work. I always tell them that whenever we finally have a house, I can't wait to buy one of your incredible pieces of art for our wall or mantel.
thanks for sharing your honest feelings. I can't wait to see your business take off! I will be sure to tell everyone I know who painted the incredible art in the baby's room and who made my blanket and sling-maybe???? I need to see these slings! I didn't know you were making them!
Love ya Laura!
Laura, I wanted to leave a comment a couple of days ago but then i felt lame because we really only met once:) However, then i thought about it and realized that I like it when people comment on mine so....
I just want to say that I love reading your blog, I think you are a creative, truthful and funny writer. Your paintings and your blankets are also wonderful and def. something I could never do!
I wouldn't worry about the eduction/experience aspect in regards to a new business (if that's what you were saying). My husband and I started a little business on the side with no actual courses done on photography, just experience. It's been really fun for us to control how big or small we want it to be and for us to do something totally different. I think it's a wonderful idea for you to share your talents with the world!
I hope this makes sense, I'm extremely tired:)
Thanks to all three of you, and those of you who I've talked to since I wrote this. I appreciate the encouragement!
Hey Laura,
It is amazing to hear these things from you because when I look at your paintings or your quilts I am so amazed... I have never been talented in the arts so that was my inferior area... I can't believe we let ourselves believe these lies... all of us!! You are amazing at what you do and that paraphrase was correct - how dare anyone keep such talent to themselves!
Lots of love
Karen Dykstra
Okay, here is some insight from someone who is a career artist. I can encourage you as a person, but it sounds like everyone already has and you already know i am waiting for your first album to come out, because I am going on tour with you!
Education: The advice I always got was "if art school doesn't ruin you, you are lucky". So many schools churn out replicas and then the originality is lost. All artists need is confidence and motivation. Work will develop on its own as long as the boat is sailing (get doing it!). There is no magic formula that people learn in school it is just a lot of doing. The same can be achieved on your own and then interacting with others doing similar things. Unlike other disciplines (ie teaching) there is no corporation requiring you to jump through education hoops.
Rejection: Even if you are qualified you experience massive rejection. I send out 20 gallery proposals and get back one acceptance if I am lucky. Ultimately they want to see that you are committed and producing something they can sell. The rest is not necessary.
Mindset: I think most artist fluctuate between thinking they are the hottest thing out there and feeling like they can't do anything worthwhile. Both are necessary. You MUST think you are brilliant because it motivates you to create all your brilliant ideas and keeps you thinking people are obviously blind when they don't buy it or buy into it. The feelings of inadequacies are also important. Artists need to be sensitive, it is where their ideas come from, it is where they feel where other might not (or might not know what to do with), it is what they are here to record and put down in whatever means they can so that others can experience things from perspectives/emotions they might not dream of.
Being the Best: I have had countless discussions with other artists about why certain artists are so successful. There was one overriding key: Determination and longevity. It isn't the most talented that make it, it is only those who persevere and stick it out the longest that finally see some fruit to all their hard work. It doesn't matter what their work is like because after a long period of perseverance they became experts in their own style and it shows. That is what then interests the art world.
So, it seems like you have the required sensitivity and I suspect you have the drive too...since you are still doing your art/music/creating and are craving it more. Perhaps you just want more professional venues to do it in.
I am inspired myself after reading all these comments. Laura- I also can't wait for the first album. Your music always makes me feel joyful and I will always remember that one that made me want to dance. You used to play it in the tree top lane house.
I'm glad that you shared Laura. Now you can look back at your blog entry and all these comments when you are feeling low about things.
Love you tons,
T
Post a Comment