So, Ryan and I have started reading a book, thanks to my sister MICHAL mentioning a fascinating article to me on the phone when I spoke to her last. The book is called "Spent" and my sister did a brief explanation on her own blog about it. Check it out here because I'm not going to spend much time explaining what it's all about. Suffice it to say that it's an explanation of why so many of us feel "spent" - overtired, never refreshed, depressed, having bad sleep, and feeling older than we actually are. The book outlines a 6 week purge from the sources of "spent" and we are giving it a go. It incorporates eating, exercise, stretching, getting enough light during the day and enough darkness at night, changing (as much as we can) the amount of toxic chemicals we come into contact with, and the list goes on. Every day we are asked to remove or add something to our lives.
SO, I will be trying to update this blog DAILY with the progress. (Here's to hoping!!!)
This, my friends, is day 1. According to "Spent" (the book), this is one of the biggest challenges. What, pray tell, is the first task? To STOP CONSUMING REFINED SUGARS. Yes, that means avoiding eating anything with sugar in it. Factory-brand breads, pastas, timbits, cakes, cookies, and everything else you can imagine that has sugar in the ingredient list.
I am currently preparing dinner - meal 3 without sugar. It has been a challenging day, let me tell you. But so far we have prevailed!! It only gets easier from here, right? I've been happy to feel fed but not full after meals. It's actually strange that normally after meals I feel full and heavy, and to realize that I don't actually need to feel that way... hmmm...
Anyway, onward!! I'll keep you up to date as best I can.
3 comments:
Wow, Laura and Ryan! I am really looking forward to reading about the next days and weeks!! I will have to read up on your sister's blog. Sounds like something more of us need to do!! Thanks!!
Oh, I am glad you are doing a daily update on the book. I don't have it so will follow along too! No sugar...can I finish my chocolate easter egg?!
Oh Michal. I would suggest getting the book too - it helps because it talks about how to curb your sugar cravings and what to have if you NEED sugar. In short, fruit, water, and even a bite of meat (haha- you?). There's also some supplement that you can take a few times a day that helps curb the need for sugar, but we're not using it. BUT, follow along as well as you can. Day one went very well!!! So far so good!!
Post a Comment