Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Spent - Week 1, day 3

Okay, so yesterday was good. I'm finding myself forgetting specifically what I CAN eat, and am having to remind myself that there's a whole list of food that I can eat as much as I want of. :) That left me rather hungry in certain times of the day. I AM learning a lot about when my major snacking (eating whatever I feel like eating, without end!!!) happens. It's the dinner-prep time! Late afternoon!! Ack, it's so hard to hold back, but I'm doing it!

Meals yesterday were pretty good again. As usual (and we have actually been doing this for a few weeks, without actually doing the program) a smoothie for breakfast. I had a deeeelicious chicken salad for lunch, which always sounds really unappealing to me until I make it and see the deliciousness. For dinner, it was a chicken stir-fry over brown rice, which was pretty good, although could have used a little more flavour. Not bad though!!

We DID look under the "desserts" section of the book for something to curb our sweet tooth (particularly for chocolate!) and found a scrumptious recipe. Seriously people, it is so good that I might make it for the rest of my life regardless of how this Spent thing goes. It's called "Chocolate Fudge Halva" and if you've ever had halva, it's nothing like it. It's pretty much just fudge, and with no sugar or sweeteners. Can you believe it? Here's the recipe. We've got it in the freezer and are nibbling away at it every evening. :)

Chocolate Fudge (Halva)
16 oz jar of nut butter (we used hazelnut butter, and I recommend it!)
1/4 cup of organic cocoa powder (we just used regular cocoa powder)
1/2 cup agave syrup (this is the sweet component, and is from the agave plant)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon sea salt

Mix all ingredients together in a food processor. The mixture will be a little crumbly (ours wasn't...) but as you pat it into the baking dish, it will become smooth. Line a baking dish with parchment or wax paper. Spoon the mixture into the dish and pat down. Cover well with cling wrap and place in freezer for about 1 hour. Remove from freezer and cut into small squares (or just keep it and nibble as needed!!) Keep in the freezer to prevent fudge from turning soft and mushy.

SO!!! Onward.

Day 3: Practice the Ultimate Neck and Shoulder Release

Pretty easy. Just do this thing (just the first one) with the tennis balls. :) It feels great!!!

So yeah, this was an easy thing to add. You're just supposed to do it before bed. I'm glad the few things following the sugar purge have been easy!!!

4 comments:

Stacy Kaye said...

Where would one find agave syrup?

Laura and Ryan said...

Ummm, Ryan picked it up. I think it may have been Save On Foods.

Laura and Ryan said...

PS - Save On has a great "natural" section and we've found pretty much everything we've needed there.

michal said...

From searching for a Halva recipe for years, I learned that there are two sorts of Halva.

One is the kind you get in the store that is made with a lot of sesame seed paste and crumbles.

The other is a sticky square in a pan. This one is the only kind I ever found recipes for.