I took her to her ballet class today. It was class number 4. I didn't know what to expect exactly. You see, our little timid thing has always had a hard time with organized classes and things like that.
The first class, she absolutely refused to participate. Waaay too much to ask on the first day, and I should have known that her constant chatter and excitement about being a ballerina wouldn't carry her through.
The second class was much the same. She clung to me and we watched the class together, her all decked out in a pink leotard, tights, tutu and ballet slippers.
On the day of the third class, I took a new approach. Rather than continually asking her to join the class, trying to coerce her into "having fun" and dancing around, I simply told her that I would NOT be forcing her to dance. (She thanked me...yeesh!) I told her that her and I both know that she can be brave if she wants to be, and that it would be up to her to choose to do so. That was the end of the story. I wouldn't push or pressure.
When we got there, she was scared and shy, but the she actually came out onto the floor with me during one part of the class. She didn't participate, mind you, but she was present. She was there, and that was enough to make her SO proud of herself! After the class she was all, "I can't wait till next week!" and "I love my ballet class!" and "I was SO BRAVE!!". I was proud of her. She had made progress, and what do you know.....it had been because she herself had decided to do it.
Today was the fourth class and as she got into her leotard and tights, she expressed nerves again. She didn't want to go, and even after I reminded her of how much fun she had last week, she still remained hesitant. So, I reminded her of the same thing as last week. No pressure from me - it was all up to her to choose to be brave. She reluctantly, albeit peacefully, agreed to go, and we got into the van and drove there.
When we arrived, we were the first ones there, and I saw immediately that she was kind of excited. She put on her ballet slippers and kind of wiggled around me, eyeing the kids as they came in. There weren't many today - probably a handful were sick with colds and whatnot - and it seemed that the few that were there were a little out of sorts and not their usual bold selves. Perhaps that helped Plava... I don't know.
The class started, the teacher called the girls over, and Plava looked up at me with a big smile and took my hand. She was going to do it. I could hardly believe it, but she did the WHOLE class. She wasn't just present, but followed instructions and did the moves!! She went to the barre (her favourite part, she told me) and pointed her toes, and did plies, and marched around the room with pom poms, and floated around with butterfly wings on, and did a miriad of other little ballet class things.
I, of course, also did it right alongside her (what a joy to be the only mom dancing in the 4 year old dance class!! haha!!), with Pito right on our heels, quite entertained by the whole thing.
By the end, Plava didn't want it to end. She got a little prize (as did they all) of a pretty pink necklace, and is now so excited for next week.
What a good day!! I'm so proud. Aaaah, these little things do so much for my nerves. Haha.
At lunch, she asked if she could start going to Kindergarten next week. AAACK!
No comments:
Post a Comment