Thursday, November 19, 2009

desperate housewife

I was vaccumming the other day and had an epiphany. There I was, cleaning the house and trying to make sure it was tidy by the time Ryan came home from work, trying to make a really delicious dinner and have it ready at the right time, trying to make sure the kids were dressed and clean, and that all the things they were getting into would be cleaned up and taken care of before we heard the car in the driveway, when suddenly I stopped.

Shit. I am a housewife.

WOAH. DUDE.

Okay, so maybe that term is a little passe, or maybe it's true, but it was certainly almost funny. What was funnier was that that realization led me to be able to more easily analyze my feelings towards a certain upcoming event in my life.


The four sisters art show. (cue scary music)

So my sister, Anna, came up with this idea of an art show exhibiting the four of us sisters' art. The others got all excited about it and I, well I thought "what could I put in"? It was just that as it was a "small scale" show, meaning all smallish things, I didn't really have much. Most of my paintings are pretty big. I could think of one small painting that I sold to my parents, but that was it. Then the idea of slings came up, but no, and then, POOF. My quilts. I had made a buttload of them last year and hadn't really pursued selling them at all. They were just sitting in boxes downstairs in a closet. Perfect!!

Then I thought it through again, and that's when the sinking feeling set in, that I only just recognized in my moment of epiphany the other day.

Let me explain. At this lovely art show, there would be art from the magnificent Michal, who is highly educated, has studied and painted in Florence, London, Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, and is now in the UK and unable to attend. La-de-da!! There would be art from the lovely Anna who is also a recording artist and dancer. Ooo-la-la!! There would be funky neuvo art from the cool city-dwelling Teresa, tiny creations displayed in shadowbox frames, looking crisp and perfect. Shoo-be-doo!! And then there would be me. The suburban housewife. With her quilts.

Terrific.

So, when I realized and recognized what exactly these bah-humbug feelings were, it was a real relief!! I voiced them to Ryan the day before the show, and WOW! It really made me feel better! We laughed our heads off and then I was released. Aaaaah. Sometimes just recognizing and voicing these ridiculous worries is all that's needed!!

The show was last night. Actually, it was the opening last night. The show will be on until the 29th. Which means if you want to go see the super artistic, really creative and very hip quilts on display, you can! (Oh, and you can also see the beautiful art of my lovely sisters too. ) The opening was really fun. It was a good time of chatting with people I knew, people I knew only a little, people I recognized vaguely, and people I had never seen in my life. I even ran into an old highschool friend who I hadn't seen since Grade 10! (Eep! That's 14 years ago!!!)

A big thanks to Ehren (old childhood playmate and owner of the gallery) and Anna (for setting the whole place up) and Teresa (who laughed with me about my housewifedom) and everyone who lovingly protested, "but quilts ARE art!!". Love y'all.

6 comments:

Stacy Kaye said...

Actually, when I SAW the poster for the show I thought that the quilt totally rounded things out. Not to mention the fact that we KNOW you can paint insane, amazing paintings yourself. I have told SOOOOO many people-but maybe never you???-that whenever I get a house I want a Laura TK painting somewhere within it. I really do! Also, we LOVE our quilt that you made for Rusty.

I am glad you were able to laugh about it. It's funny how we are so hard on ourselves...I often look at you and all that you do and think how amazing you are!

Mama Bear said...

oh laura, you silly girl. Quilting IS an art...it's art with textiles, patterns & warmth. I happen to think that you are VERY artistic. I mean, you can sew and paint and sing. I'm not sure if you can dance but you're musical so i'm going to assume that YES, yes you can!

Housewife? well, i guess you live in a house and you ARE a wife so technically, yes, you are a housewife. But you're not...you're a MOTHER, which, lets face it, is the HARDEST job ever!!! well, i guess not when both girls are asleep on the couch.

Jaime Gibson said...

You are a beautifully creative, talened, hilarious, kind, wise, and fun housewife...and don't you forget it! It is hard to remember all the other pieces to who we are when aour consists of cooking, cleaning, refereeing, and playing. But...you are the amazing Laura who has so many other dimesions to who you are. I sooo wish I could come to the art show - what a wonderful idea! And quilts are a work of art girl!! What a wonderful contribution :)

Anonymous said...

You paint beautiful paintings, put together awesome baby slings, play piano, make georgeous quilts... and you think you are not artsy? Ai ai ai... you are crazy!! Your stuff is awesome! I am so uncreative... *inside thought.. is that even a word*... sigh... appreciate your talents! I would kill to be able to even know how to FRENCH BRAID, never mind make the beautiful stuff you do!!

Lots of love and good luck with the show!

Karen Dykstra

michal said...

I am laughing because I think if Nigel read your email he would confirm that all artists go through these ups and downs. He only rolls his eyes at me now when I am in a down period and think everything I do is crap and a waste of time and why am I doing it! Funny, how you see yourself...but we all have that strange view. Let's see...in my depths I think of myself as an unsuccessful painter who makes crap work, no money, lives off someone else, over the hill, aimless, unmotivated...I can swing into the oh, I don't have children, whoa is me...or the I am nobody and have no connections in London and never will...to I am just here to cook dinner and clean a house, that is all I can do that is useful. So, hey, maybe that housewife thing is the epitome of the depths for everyone!!!!!!

But on good days I think...damn, I am hot...I am motivated...it is only a matter of time before I break in to another level because look at everything I have already done. In fact, I think I might take up ballet again...join a band with my cello, pursue acting...make some damn hot meals for people...sew some crazy stuff...

And for you I think...musical to the max (picks up any instrument and sounds like you've been playing a life time after only a few months), great songwriter (hey, I am waiting to tour with you!), generally artistic in anything you set your mind to...graphics, quilts, painting, website design, interior design...the list goes on.

Ann Tk said...

And I am extremely proud of you and your sisters. Look how Michal writes about you. Look how you write about your sisters. Wow! A goldmine of love and affection and appreciation of each other.

And you are an excellent communicator with your blog. The description of the mother and her crazy ranting attempts to have her son cooperate....poor kid. I agree with you. He's only 5! Give a break and a lot of respect for his young person.

..... the "everyone owes me" person. Fortunately, I am not around those type of people very often!

Well done Laura. I love reading your descriptions...especially of your sisters... and Michal's of you. I am blessed because of all of you.

Mom

PS... and you have great supportive friends also!