Thursday, February 18, 2010

THE FEVER!!! (not of the "hay" variety either!)


Ryan and the girls (and me behind the camera) by an Inukshuk (the olympic logo - beside Pito)

Yeaaaaah the Olympics are on!!! WOOO!! Can you tell I'm excited? Actually, it's not such a shock, considering (a) it's IN MY CITY, and (b) yesterday was the first day that we (as in, the four of us) went downtown to take in the action. AND WHAT ACTION THERE WAS!!!

I mean, going downtown is usually exciting. There are more people than here in the 'burbs (makes it sound like I live in a sparse cow-town or something), there are taller buildings, there's more variety of ethnic background and language, there's more busy-ness. But going in yesterday was amazing!!! I should have prepared myself for the throngs of people, MANY in Canadian garb of varying degrees, and others in various other countries' garb, and the madness that ensued! We twisted and turned our way from the skytrain station to the CAULDRON,
which was on the very top (#1, in fact) spot on my and Plava's list of "what to see". What can I say? I was moved! It was amazing to see a true Olympic cauldron in MY city!! SO exciting! I got a very (VERY) proud picture in front of it.



We then headed up Granville, weaving our way to Robson Street (where this happened a few days ago!) and taking in the street performers, various displays, and general vibrating excitement in the air!! Seriously, I can hardly describe the atmosphere!! "Vibrating with excitement" really does seem appropriate. (At least that's how I was feeling!)

We stopped in at a little italian restaurant for dinner and watched some speed skating on the big screens inside. At one point, Plava, who was quite thrilled with the whole thing, whispered into my ear, "I CAN'T BELIEVE WE'RE AT THE OLYMPICS WATCHING THE OLYMPICS!".

We didn't stay for hours and hours, but did wander around and hit the cauldron again before heading back on the skytrain (which is, ironically, underground...). :)

I am SO excited that this is all happening in my city! I am so proud and having so much fun seeing such familiar places on TV all the time as the media covers various events! Weeee!!

To end this post, I thought I'd add a picture from this past summer when we visited Whistler. Plava was feeling pretty uncomfortable with people watching her pose, but it will be a good memory for her later!!!


Okay, and this is a really cool video. :)


3 comments:

Stacy Kaye said...

I'm with you. We are so excited! I have been downtown twice, and I hope to go again one more time. It's just so fun! We are loving all of it, and I don't want it to end!

michal (W.I.T.W.I.M.) said...

Wow. I was shocked at how old Plava looks now!

Laura and Ryan said...

Yeah, she does look particularly old in that picture.