Forgive the haphazard thoughts in this post as they tumble out of my brain. I'm trying to think and write while Elmo squeaks out his high pitched exclamations from the TV beside the computer. Nearly impossible to think.
But I was thinking, actually. I was thinking about Pito. She is number 2. You know that, of course. She is, as so many people who have more than one kid say, so different from her sister. It comes as no surprise to me that she has a completely different character, completely different needs, and a completely different way of interpreting the world than her big sister, Plava. In turn, it is (again, no surprise, but) completely new trying to figure out how to discipline and keep her "in line". Okay, let's just say "teach" her, because that's what it's all about right? Discipline is all part of teaching and rearing and learning children to become well adjusted, mature and wise adults.
So, I've been challenged in the past few months as Pito has marched headfirst into the "2's". I still refuse to call them "terrible", although I'm closer to being okay with that word this time 'round. Haha. Pito has just become a typical 2-year-old monkey. Full of fire and tantrums and rage and frustration over ANY little thing that she's denied. But it's not that that really bothers me. It's the listening thing. Yeah, that.
I remember it well with Plava. There was a point in time when I would ask her to come and follow me, or sit on her chair and eat, or do anything at all, and she simply wouldn't. It was terribly aggravating, and I remembered it immediately when Pito started going through it. The good thing is that at least it's a repeat of something I've been through before - particularly good because I know it will end!! But in the meantime I've been trying to figure out the balance between guiding her gently with patience and getting angry and yelling, resulting in her still not listening very well and my being put into a nasty mood. Hm.
Today, I tried a new tactic.
T.a.l.k.i.n.g. t.o. h.e.r.
I know. It sounds simple. The thing is, with another kid chattering my ear off about everything from the latest song she just made up to some game she played at preschool to rememberthattimewhenwewentto..., it ends up being very hard to take the time to shush big sister and have a moment of up-close communication with Pito.
Today, it went like this:
"Plava, can you hold on for a sec? Pito, it's lunch time. When it's lunch time, and breakfast time, and dinner time, we stay at the table. We don't run around and play. If you're done your food, you can ask to be excused, but if you want to keep eating, you need to stay on your chair. If you get down again, I'm going to take your food away and you won't be able to eat it. Okay?"
And you know what she said?
"Okay."
And you know what she did?
She stayed in her chair for the remaining 15 minutes or so until she was done. WOAH.
Poor 2nd children. I have to say, it's just sucky that (okay, at least in my case) they don't get quite as much concerted attention from the parent. There are good things about that as well of course (over-parenting!), and advantages of having an older sibling ("Pito, we don't stand up in the shopping cart!!" says Plava), but I have found that I really haven't pursued moments with Pito. Those moments are pretty big. And it's now time to change things a little.
She's sleeping now, which is nice, because then I can have a little break to gather myself for ROUND 2. That's right. Round 1 was me not taking much time for her, just getting her to follow along and figure out how things work. ROUND 2 is me taking moments with her to give her that attention, those words, that reassurance that I'm her mom and she can be sure that I love her, but expect her to behave.
Okay, now that that's out, I'll share some pictures of our days recently. Enjoy!!
One of the most delicious accidental meals ever - pesto lasagna with goat cheese, pine nuts, and tomatoes. It was meant to be cannelloni and I missed a few ingredients but it was delish!
The girls LOVED it. Here they are showing us their dirty post-meal faces and Pito's empty plate. EXCELLENT eating, munchkins.
And then it turned into a big-sister-makes-little-sister-laugh moment.
And yes, just after the Olympics finished, the snow fell (okay it was great for the Paralympics!), and my sister and I took the kids up to Seymour Mountain and found ourselves a nice little sledding spot. Plava LOVED it, but Pito DID NOT. Haha.
My sister trying to entertain Pito in the snow. This was one of her better moments. I think she might have been just too small to enjoy the snow.
Cousins in the bushes.
Then it got nice out, so we headed to the beach. Strange season...
They both loved it, and we collected a bunch of rocks to take home for displaying in our livingroom. Very fun, except for how silly I felt walking back to the car with bulging pockets.
Ryan's been trying to give Plava pointers on throwing. Heh, she almost has better form than her mother already. :D Yes, I'm that bad.
Mmmmm ocean.
"P" for Plava? ;) Our little speller had fun in the sand.
I love the beach!! And so did the girls. Planning on getting back there soon!!!
5 comments:
Call me next time you go! We love the beach too!
Oh I will!
love the beach! so bizarre the "winter" this year. I can't believe how fast the girls are growing up! :)
Have I told you lately that you're pretty much aweomse? Cuz you pretty much are! :)
Karen
love, love, love the images and posts really you are great at this!
I would love to grab a coffee really soon do you get a bit of time off?
Post a Comment