Tuesday, May 04, 2010

d-d-d...what?

I don't know why it is SO COLD in here. I'm in the office in the basement, putting my work aside for the night, and I'm freeeeeezing!!! It could be because it's the basement, or because I have no socks on, or because I had some ice cream a little while ago, or because I'm sitting staring at a screen for HOUUUUURS tonight. Yes, fun.

Some exciting news though- I have decided (drum roll please....) that I am going to become a DOULA. Yes!! Yippeee!!

Click here if you have no idea what a Doula is.

So yes!! I am so excited, and am actually quite....relieved, to be honest.

I surprised myself actually. I have been thinking about this for some time, but have never actually taken the plunge until now. And you know, I found that once I decided and registered for my first course, suddenly the world was a happier place. Not only did I have something that I was heading towards in life, but it's something that I really feel passionate about (supporting women through the most amazingly powerful and life-changing bodily and emotional experience of their lives!), and it's something that I think I will actually be really good at, if I may be so bold. Why will I be good at it? Because this is the kind of thing that I do. I am a supporter. I'm a calming force in the face of panic and fear. I have always known that about myself. Not only known that, but have felt empowered and energized by the times when I have been in that kind of a role. If there's an emergency and people are panicking, or need support, or need to be calmed, SEND ME IN!!

I guess this Doula thing is more than just a job goal. It's the kind of thing that I imagine will feel like I am doing something that is using my natural gifts. My natural ability to care for people and be a calming, encouraging force.

Oh I could go on and on. I'm just excited!!

Anyway, I am still cold, even though I'm so excited, so I should head to my warm bed and go to sleep (it's way past my bed time!!). Nighty night.

6 comments:

SomedaysSarah said...

Yay! Go Laura go!!!

Jules said...

AWESOME!!!! If I am ever in an emergency, I will flail and wail my way over to you!!! Congrats on finding our passion, and the guts to pursue it. Good on ya!

Mama Bear said...

i think you will make an excellent doula...even an excellent midwife! I'm excited for you!

Laura and Ryan said...

Thanks, girls!!

Stacy Kaye said...

Laura that is so fantastic! You will be an EXCELLENT doula. If Kevin and I ever get to have another baby, maybe by then you will have your certification! Keep me posted!

Andrea said...

I am very excited for you, Laura! I also think you'd do VERY good at it! :)