Saturday, February 11, 2006

video killed the radio star

I'm not much of a TV watcher. I admit that I enjoy a show or two at random, but you won't find me flipping when I'm bored or racing to the tube just in time to catch the beginning of my favourite show. No, I'm not committed. I'm proud to not be committed. Whereas I used to think that it was a cool thing to gab with friends about the latest episode of this show or that, in recent years it became cool (at least to me) to confidently state that I'm not really interested in tv. "I've got better things to do," I'd proudly and haughtily think to myself. TV was such a bore - such a waste of time.

These tendencies make me laugh. It makes me think of people who say that they have "an eclectic taste in music". Sort of like they've arrived. They've dipped into all different genres and now are far too musically mature to be associated with any particular genre group. Or the type of person who used to walk the halls of highschool claiming that they didn't fit in to a particular group - they were friends with lots of different groups. How horrible to not have your place in a clique. How noble of them to sacrifice membership for a wide range of friends.

If you're not following the comparisons here, don't worry. It may only be connected to the TV thing in my brain alone. But as I said, I have risen above the world of gazing dazed at the screen to a place of higher happiness. I don't need those silly shows to fill up my time. I have other things to do; I have other places to go. I'm above all that.

I was smugly thinking this the other day when I decided to go check my email. It was probably the 3rd time I had done it so far that day, and it was 10 am. I would likely check it numerous more times that day, and would probably get some emails for my pains. After I checked email, I'd check my blog to see if anyone had commented, then check my other email account, then google some random thing I'd been thinking of googling, then check my work email (even though I haven't worked there for months), then check flyzoom.com to see how cheap it would be to fly to London tomorrow, then check my email once more, then get off the computer.

It occurred to me suddenly that day that I had made a huge error in thought. Whereas I had been so proud of my lack of committment to the TV, I had since replaced it with the internet. I probably spend hours on the computer every day, and do I accomplish much? Sure I write the odd email, keep up with friends far and near, and update my blog, but all those things could easily be accomplished in one short sitting.

I have failed in my striving to be free of "the screen". Take me away from this crazy box that I stare at for hours and hours a day! Free me from this addiction! Free me from these plastic letters that my fingers just can't stop pressing!!!

I better go before I burst into flames. Let me just leave you with this: If video killed the radio star, did internet kill the tv star.....?

Did that make sense? Sigh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh Laura, I haven't been keeping up with your blog. BUt I just read this one on addiction and it sounds rather familiar. I have mixed feelings about finding your blog so entertaining. Now I won't just be checking email regularly but your blog too. Oh dear, oh dear. You're crazy little lady!!!

Catch ya later- how 'bout this week?

T