It has felt like a seriously long winter. Spring seemed to stretch extra long itself, but it's now finally feeling warm and summery out there. Even as I write this I realize that it's only April. I suppose we're lucky to have such summery weather at this time....hmm.
Well, today is April 25th, 2006. A great day, I must say, because it's my birthday. Yes, twenty seven years ago, my mother was in a lot of pain. And then I came along. It's funny - ever since having Plava, I look at birthdays a little different. Yes, it's wonderful that someone new came into the world and that we celebrate the day they began their "outer" life (can you tell I'm not an advocate for abortion?), but it also means that someone else was in a whole lot of pain, possibly yelling and screaming in agony. Or maybe they were the type of person that was peaceful and inwardly focused as they bore the labour pains. I certainly had no idea what I would be like during labour. I hoped that I would be able to be calm and collected, like some other women I had heard of who had quiet, calm though intense, deeply inwardly focused labours. I really left the option open for screaming though, because I had no idea what labour would feel like. I don't know how many times I asked other mothers what it felt like to have contractions. I just couldn't imagine what type of pain it would be - sharp, stabbing pain? Dull aching pain?
And then I went into labour. And I have to say that I was so proud of myself for actually being able to stay very silent and focused for the first 2 days. It actually helped me to stay quiet and calm. When I'd start getting excited and loud, it would make me more nervous and almost seem to increase the pain. By the third day when I went to the hospital, I was pretty darn uncomfortable, but still didn't yell or scream.
It was the pushing that got be screaming. AAAAAAAAH!!! My midwife kindly told me to shut up and focus that yelling into muscle power, and I did, and it really helped. It was kind of funny though, as if all the buildup to that point finally hit the roof and exploded in a couple huge screams.
Aaah, labour. I do look forward to going through it again. It was such an amazing experience to see what the body just does. It's as if it just went into auto-pilot and I just had to ride the wave out until it was over. So as I said, 27 years ago, my mom was in labour, and now here I am, living a pretty enjoyable life, full of twists and turns and the unexpected, and not lacking in direction or excitement for the future.
I'm so excited about the future. I'm excited about 5 years from now when maybe Ryan and I will have 3 kids. I'm excited about 4 years from now when maybe Ryan and I will go traveling in South America with some family (yeah, that's right!!!). I'm excited about 3 years from now when we'll hopefully have two little ones running around and through our legs. I'm excited about a year from now when Plava will be walking, running, and talking. I'm excited about a few months from now when I may be starting a part-time job. I'm excited about a couple weeks from now when I'm going to start taking care of my niece, Frances, who's 1. I'm excited about next week when I'm going to be in Mexico!!! (Dare I mention that we won a free trip?) And I'm excited about an hour from now when Plava wakes up and we get to spend more time together!!!
My life is great, no matter what difficulties arise, and no matter where it takes me. I'm happy to be 27, and that much closer to 30. (Which doesn't bother me, by the way.) I'm happy that my mom was in labour 27 years ago today. And I'm glad that I've been through that experience myself and have a couple more to do before my days are done. (Lord willing) Yahhoooo!!!
Have a great day everyone! Enjoy the sun! Enjoy this life! Enjoy your kids! Enjoy your parents!! Cheeriooo!
3 comments:
I hope that you have a wonderful birthday! Also, ENJOY your free trip! That's so exciting...what part of Mexico will you be in? If it weren't for my free trip to Europe this summer I would be EXTREMELY jealous! Even with that I'm jealous because you guys get to go as a family. How wonderful!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LAURA!!! You are such an amazing person in so many ways and I feel fortunate that we are cousins.
You have some incredible things to look forward to in the near future. Where in South America will you be going with your family? I can't wait to go back there again someday.
You won a trip to Mexico??? WOW! What a great birthday present! Have fun! Will Plava be going as well?
I must say I'm hooked on your blog. It's so nice to have updates on your experiences and thoughts. You are such an inspiration.
Have a great Birthday Laura!
Luv ya,
~Share~
You are quite incredible Laura. Very unique when you took your first breath (I was there, by the way) and very unique right now. Have a very happy birthday today.
Post a Comment