Saturday, April 22, 2006

ramblings from the brain of a sleep-deprived mother

Well, this is one of the first times I've sat down, logged onto my blog, and really have had nothing in mind to write about. So perhaps today it will just be random thoughts pouring out of me.

I'm amazed at how my body can cope with the lack of sleep I've had for some months now. Before Plava was born, I heard parents speak of the sleepless nights as if they were something that almost killed you. They would drag themselves around the next day, barely able to function, thinking desperate thoughts and wondering how they could escape this life they had entered into. Now, while I don't diminish those who really do suffer when they're sleep deprived (I have a good friend who has quite a hard time if she doesn't get enough sleep), I must say that I'm so thankful to have a body that has been able to adapt to this lifestyle and that is fairly normally functioning. I've been through times that were harder, when my days would be foggy with fatigue and I would sit on the couch, baby in arms, head swaying, eyes falling shut, and they weren't fun, but I'm really fine. The last couple nights have been really challenging with Plava. She's been up in the middle of the night for hours at a time, unable to settle herself unless she's being rocked in my arms, and let me tell you, when you think your baby is really truly asleep and you lay her down in her crib after trying this 15 or so times already, and she suddenly opens her eyes and looks at you, wide awake, it's enough to make you crazy. This has been my experience recently, and it's really not fun. Last night, though, we tried a new tactic while getting her into bed at her bedtime, and for some crazy reason, she took to it!!! HALLELUJAH!!! She even slept straight through from 8 pm until 1:00!! Technically speaking, that's what they call "sleeping through the night" (5 hours straight), but um, that's not good enough for me. So then she got back to sleep and woke up again at 4:30. I didn't even care that it took me about an hour to get her back to sleep at that hour, because she slept until 7!!!! I haven't slept in until 7 in so long!!! What a treat, let me tell you.

Okay, enough about the sleep thing. I've been thinking and talking about it so much lately that I'm downright getting tired of it. (tee hee)

My cat, Sylvie, is quite the character. She's shedding like....like a cat in the spring I guess. I tried to think of something interesting to say there, but nothing came. Yeah, everything is covered in her hair - it's sick. We find it in our clothes, all over Plava, in our food, on Plava's highchair - everywhere....I don't know where this cat gets off leaving her stupid hair everywhere.

Oh my goodness. Can I just say that I'm seriously sick of hearing house alarms go off? Last night at 11 pm, someone's alarm went off in our complex. This has happened a handful of times before and it often happens after Plava's gone down for a nap. It's loud, as you might imagine, and is rather disruptive. Well, not only did it go off at 11, but also at 12, and then 5:30 am, and now, at 8:45, it's going off again. And guess who just woke up from it? AAAARG!!!

Wow, I've got a little frustration in my bones today.... maybe the sleep thing is getting to me. Well, off I go to soothe my little one back to sleep. Have a nice day everyone, and my appologies if this rant was a little on the sassy side. The next one will be pleasant, I promise! HAH!

1 comment:

Stacy Kaye said...

I think you are allowed to be a little bit sassy when you are surviving on that small amount of sleep! I think I would be more than just sassy!