Well, I've done it to my knees. Yeah, running too hard or something. My knees are rather wobbly and awfully sore. It's been about 5 days now that they've been hurting, and three runs on sore knees, and I'm starting to face the music and realize that it's really not a good thing that they hurt all day just as I walk around and do every day stuff.
BUT I'm not giving up running, for those of you who think that this is a convenient excuse!! NO WAY!! I'm way too proud of myself to just give it up. Nope. Just a little time to get them feeling better, a visit to the Running Room to get some shoe advice (that could very well be the problem), and back I go, out into the wide world to face the challenge again.
I'm on week 3 of the 13 in the training program aforementioned, and it's going well. My last run was excruciating, but I managed to do it without giving up early or caving in to running shorter spurts. Yes, I managed to run for 3 minutes, then walk for 2, 7 times!! HAH!! Sounds so simple doesn't it? Well, just give it a try suckers!!!
Okay, I'm talking to those of you who aren't athletic. Those of you who are, you have full permission to laugh.
And that's all I have to say.
4 comments:
Wow, Laura. You are a real trooper. I just think you're so great for starting to run. Not that you need to do anything to become more beautiful than you are, since you're the most gorgeous woman in existence already. We can all just hope to be like you one day.
Hey Laura, where are you running? When I run on the road or sidewalks I get some pretty bad pain in my knees and shins. When I started running on the trails in Mundy Park it went a lot better. Shoes also do make a HUGE difference! Once I got New Balance shoes, that helped a lot as well. Just some thoughts for you. Good for you for sticking with your program. Hey, next year let's do the Sun Run together!
Watch out for your knees. It is easy to do permanent damage. If mine hurt I walk for a bit and I rub them. If they really hurt, I stop running. I found some knee strengthening excercises:
One was to sit on a chair and extend one leg up at a time so that it is straight out in front of you. Can you feel the muscles working? Do it a number of times holding it each time.
squats work too.
This one was sent to me by another runner who had had knee problems as well:
"When you are running, you can stop in a park and find a bench. Then stand in front of the bench, put your leg on where you seat and stand up with one leg. Do 2 sets of 10. This is a similar exercise to squats. The key is to build up the muscles around your knees. My problem was that I was actually running poorly, i.e. My feet were not running straight which was putting stress on my knees. Deb"
A doctor told me not to run on pavement so I will only run on grass. Less impact on your joints.
AND I get a blue camping foamy and cut out soles and stick them in my running shoes. It is like running on a sponge.
I agree that good runners are also essential. I was limping from an ankle for a month and couldn't believe the problem dissappeared when I bought better runners.
Keep it up Laura! That is great! When I started running I felt like puking after just one minute. YOU GO GIRL!!!!! You are up to 3 minutes! That is amazing.
Stacy - I'm running on uneven pavement. What, that's a problem? Haha. I think I will try trails. Thanks.
Michal - a wealth of information. Thanks! I'll try some of those things out!
I'm heading out today to get my shoe situation assessed.
Post a Comment