Wednesday, May 24, 2006

two little ladies

Plava and her cousin, F, (seen here with their Papa-George) are two serious cuties. I've recently started caring for F a couple days a week and it's so funny to see the two together. At the beginning of every day, when I first arrive, the two of them, Plava 10 months old and F 14 months, smile at each other, point, poke and chat for 10 minutes or so, and then it's on with playtime.

It's been an adventure taking care of two babes. Plava is pretty easy going and is learning to play on her own fairly well, and F is just learning to walk and is curious to discover her world around her. I thought it might be a challenge to follow around a walker while also taking care of Plava, but it's been amazingly easy! They like each other so much that often times they just hang out together, poking at each others' faces and patting each others' heads.

Nap time is something I'm trying to figure out. They both nap pretty much at the same time of day, and I'm trying to work out how to get two babies bottle fed, sleepy, and into their beds asleep at the same time. So far I've been pretty much flying by the seat of my pants. But there hasn't been a day go by that I've thought to myself, "THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE!!".

As I write, they're both sleeping heavily in their respective spots - F upstairs in her crib and Plava downstairs on Papa and Nana's bed (those are my parents). I'm starting to cool down now, after going upstairs to tend to poor F who has a cold, and then back downstairs to assure crying Plava that I haven't abandoned her. But now.....aaaaaah. We all feel better I think! Thank the Lord for sleeping babies!!!

What will these two little ones be like when they're older? I can't wait to see them toddling around at 2, getting into mischief. I wonder how they'll interact when they're 3 and 4, getting to know each other in a talking, playing, sharing world. How will they relate to each other when they've entered kindergarten, likely in different schools? Will they still be as excited to see each other when they've got other little friends that they interact with every day?

I hope they will. I hope they have each other and love each other for many years to come!

5 comments:

Stacy Kaye said...

It's so fun that they are so close in age! My cousin, Matt, and I were only six months apart and we lived less than a mile apart. I can't remember many days when we WEREN'T together. All the way through graduation. It was like ripping out a part of myself when we went off to separate colleges. We were more like twins than cousins and he is STILL one of my best friends. His kids call me Auntie Stacy and we are actually their legal guardians. I hope Plava can have the same sort of experience with F.

Michal said...

Very cute. Very cute. Love the picture of the two of them in the pool! Very cool. Very funky. Style gurus, I'd say! but what do I know? I have started wearing my sunglasses on the outside of my hats too and walking around in my "sun-suit" with matching tire. Yeah, I caught those envious glances from admirers on the London Underground. Yep! Just call me "fashion face".

Anonymous said...

Is it weird that this entry made me want to cry??

Teresa
(F's mom)

Laura and Ryan said...

Um, not so weird. I felt rather sentimental myself as I wrote it!!

Dan said...

In my personal experience, cousins are special because they can be more like friends than siblings. There is no competition for parental approval because each has her own set. However, there's this extra closeness because of that familial connection. I always got along swimmingly with my cousins - partners in crime, bosom buddies, confidants, homies, or whatever your culturally informed label may be.

Speaking of swimming, I agree with Michal. That swimming pic is tres cute. Those are some stylin' ladies.

And Teresa, I hope you're smiling while you're crying. If so, they're tears of joy and very appropriate.

Dan