Hmmm, I may be turning all you readers off of buying organic with this post. Just know that this is an extreme case of the priceyness of organic food. Whew!
It seems what "organic" means is even up for debate. I saw a report once on TV about "organically grown" potatoes. They said that all the actual potatoes that are grown in the ground are bought up by restaurant chains, and the only ones left to sell in supermarkets as "organically grown" are actually what they called "black-light potatoes", that is, they grow on a table somewhere with the help of UV-emitting black lights. They are getting away with calling it organic when it doesn't even grow in the ground!
Yes, it's very beneficial to do the research before you take the plunge. I found that it helped to look into where the food comes from - what farms etc. There's actually a standard for organics that is quite strict as to what can and can't be done in the farming. The Vikes might know quite a bit about it, since they had an organic plot of their own for a little while.
One idea that I have always liked is the organic farmers box deliveries that you can get in most cities. Once a week for a set price you get a mix of organic fruits and veggies, locally grown and in season dropped at your door. It is fun because you get a lot of the regular stuff, but also some stuff you wouldn't normally know what to do with, forcing you to figure out new recipes for, say, radishes or beets! It's not that pricey because you always get only what is in season. It also forces you to eat a certain amount of fruit and veg.
10 comments:
Because you want to be one? (best read in a Scottish accent)
THAT, my friend, is why we don't buy organic!
You think with the money they save on not using pesticides, they could LOWER the price a bit!
It sucks that healthy stuff is more expensive. Like water in a vending machine is more expensive than a pop!! What's up with that??
GOOOOD question, Laura.
Hmmm, I may be turning all you readers off of buying organic with this post. Just know that this is an extreme case of the priceyness of organic food. Whew!
SEVEN DOLLARS! Are you being serious? That's insane! How could anyone afford that!?
YOU ACTUALLY BOUGHT IT? I buy organic, and I'd walk away from that!!
Oh I walked away. You can be sure of that!!
It seems what "organic" means is even up for debate. I saw a report once on TV about "organically grown" potatoes. They said that all the actual potatoes that are grown in the ground are bought up by restaurant chains, and the only ones left to sell in supermarkets as "organically grown" are actually what they called "black-light potatoes", that is, they grow on a table somewhere with the help of UV-emitting black lights.
They are getting away with calling it organic when it doesn't even grow in the ground!
Yes, it's very beneficial to do the research before you take the plunge. I found that it helped to look into where the food comes from - what farms etc. There's actually a standard for organics that is quite strict as to what can and can't be done in the farming. The Vikes might know quite a bit about it, since they had an organic plot of their own for a little while.
One idea that I have always liked is the organic farmers box deliveries that you can get in most cities. Once a week for a set price you get a mix of organic fruits and veggies, locally grown and in season dropped at your door. It is fun because you get a lot of the regular stuff, but also some stuff you wouldn't normally know what to do with, forcing you to figure out new recipes for, say, radishes or beets! It's not that pricey because you always get only what is in season. It also forces you to eat a certain amount of fruit and veg.
Post a Comment