Tuesday, July 04, 2006

please?

I don't like to be a follower when it comes to fads. In fact, sometimes I go out of my way to ensure those around me that I'm absolutely not following the latest thing.

One fad that I've been really stuck on though, is baby sign language. Normally I'd stubbornly say, "Oh, no. I'll just try and get her to say the words when she's able to." But the thing is, baby sign language isn't just a fad to talk to your friends about, it's a really useful thing to aid in baby communication. It can really ease frustrations the baby may feel when they really want something and can't express what it is. So I've quietly slipped in the back door and joined the baby sign language club.

The first sign I tried to teach her was "all done" which I understood to be kind of a "sweeping away from the chest" motion with the hands. Plava picked it up pretty quickly, thanks to the fact that she already made a similar gesture when she was excited. We're noticing now though, that she does it not only when I ask her if she's all done, but also when she wants more food. Hah. Try and figure that one out!

The second sign was "please" which we only started last night. I'm happy to proclaim that it only took her about 5 times to really get what was going on and what she was supposed to do. "Please" is a one-handed circular sweep of the chest. We showed her, while holding a toy she wanted, and promped her to do it back. She just stared until we did it for her with her hand. In no time she was doing it on her own, but rather than a one-handed circular sweep, little shirtless Plava was grabbing her boobies and squeezing them, alternating right and left.

IT WAS HILARIOUS!!!

She's since taken to just slapping her chest really vigourously, with the odd boobie sqeeze thrown in. Hey, whatever works!!

No comments: