Money, money, money Must be funny
In the rich man's world
Money, money, money
Always sunny
In the rich man's world
Aha-ahaaa
All the things I could do
If I had a little money
Its a rich man's world
Things are changing in our lives at the moment. Is it any surprise? I suppose not, but this is a rather ordinary change compared to the ones we usually seek out for ourselves. A little while ago, I quit my job and planned to stay home with Plava. I've always wanted to stay home with my kids. I've always considered it my ideal, and although it may not be for everyone, it's certainly for me.
Of course, quitting my job had some consequences. A lowering of the family income being the main one. Thankfully Ryan had just moved up in his workplace which allowed some room for even considering the idea of me staying home. There are always more things to pay for than money flowing in, though. Isn't it always the case? Should it be?
I like to think that one could live happily, simply, and free of the constraints of debt and worry by simply making some choices and choosing to live happily with them. I've often idealized the idea of renting a place, our only vehicle being a couple of bikes, living without cable TV and car payments, and being able to work part time (both of us, I mean). It's a nice idea, isn't it? But unfortunately, when Ryan and I have lived similarly to said life, we've always wanted more. We've wanted to own a house, to have a car, to watch TV sometimes.... Maybe the real solution to unending spending is in the harnessing of our desire for more.
I've been looking over our finances today, planning our next few months as I have now received my last cheque from the government for my Maternity Leave, and am starting my new job doing the books for our church. It's certainly time for change in the spending department, but I'm happy to have discovered that we'll be just fine. We may sell a car and share the use of one. We may say goodbye to our rather disappointing experience with Vonage, an internet based telephone company (neither of us, nor our friends and family, will be very sad about that!) But whatever we do, we'll do it, and we'll be fine.I choose not to worry. I choose not to be stressed out. I choose to not allow money to control me like that. Sacrifice is certain, and that's okay with me.
2 comments:
It's always interesting to play the money game isn't it? We are so delighted to be living a debt free life at the moment but even as we enjoy it we contemplate adding debt...a home. It's something we both want but we hate the thought of being a slave to money. Oh well...like you said, sacrifices...right?
But at least a home is an asset that will eventually pay you back...it's just about the only thing (aside from gold and good investments) that you can buy that will appreciate in value. So...it's not "bad" debt! :)
Post a Comment