Friday, July 28, 2006

don't fence me in

There's a reason this is the third time today that I've posted something.

You may be wondering, "What has gotten into her? First she writes a post about being in a blog lull, and then she's going bazurko and writing multiple times a day again."


Well, I think the answer is starting to emerge in my weeee little head. I am feeling rather antsy.


Ryan and I were talking the other day and discussing our growing feelings of boredom. No, boredom is the wrong word to use. I'll just try to explain what I mean.


Since Ryan and I got married 5 years ago, we've been on the move in a big way. We've moved numerous times, traveled a good deal, worked many, many jobs, had a baby, bought a car, and pretty much haven't "settled down" as some might put it.

Life has been exciting! We've been to Japan, Saipan, Thailand, the Sunshine Coast, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Cayman Islands, Mexico again, Hawaii, Kelowna, Toronto, the States, Mexico again, and gosh, where else....? We've lived in 5 different cities in the lower mainland over the past 3 years. We've owned 3 homes over the past 2 years, and in that time have acquired a cat and a baby. (Acquired a baby? what a weird thing to say...) Our lives have seemed to turn upside down again and again, and mostly by our own prompting.


Now, we're planted in a nice location, with Ryan in a good job which he feels challenged in, with a dear sweet cat and a wonderful little girl who's about to turn 1, and we're feeling antsy.
We desire change.

Is it any surprise that after all this mayhem we'd get addicted to it? It's like a caffeine fix, you need it or you fear you'll fall asleep at the wheel. (...not that I drink coffee....)


What to do? Is it unhealthy to love change? We know that it would be ridiculous to think about moving or doing something drastic like that, because we're happy where we are, and we only moved in here 6 months ago. No no. We'd never even toy with that idea.

But what do we do with our antsy-pants? We talk about planning a trip in the next year, but would that do it? Maybe. We think about planning another family member (uh, or maybe that's just me...), but we both know that we want to wait a good couple years for that. And it's not something we'd want to do out of boredom, for pete's sake!!! We talk about our life ideas, our plans, our hopes and things we want to do "someday".


It feels like "someday" is now. It feels like this is the time to do those crazy adventurous things that we want to do. But is now the time? Really?


For the moment, we're just planning on taking a road trip down the Oregon Coast in September. We hear great things from everyone about the beauty of that coast, and we want to see it for ourselves. So I guess for now, that will be our exciting plan.

Yes.


Do you feel this way? Do you readers ever get that feeling of, "GET ME OUT OF HERE AND ONTO AN ADVENTURE!!!" Does your blood coarse through your veins for thrill of the feeling that your whole life is going to shift? Or are you content? Are you happy where you are? Are you in a place in life that you'd like to stay? Talk to me!

1 comment:

Stacy Kaye said...

Oh Laura, you guys are so not alone. Kev and I have these discussions all of the time! We always wonder what our next adventure will be. It's all right, I think, to always look for new nad fun things to do. We're going to be coming back up to Canada along the Oregon and Washington coasts. I'll let you know what I think!