I like trees. I like to paint them. I'm not particularly good at them, but I like to do it anyway. I don't know what it is about trees that grabs me so much. Maybe it's that each one is so different, even within a species. Maybe it's that they change their appearance so drastically from one season to the next, because of either weather-surroundings or lack of leaves.
When I paint trees, I often think of the tree as an animate object, a character, something with a will of its own, as opposed to just a tree. If it's being wind-blown, I imagine it fighting against the wind for survival, or being blown clean as the wind tears through its bare branches.
As you may be able to tell, I also really love wind. In fact, although I've painted more wind than anything in my work, it's weather itself that I love to paint. Stormy skies, pouring rain, northern lights, windy sunsets. You name it-I love it. But wind holds a special place in my artistic heart.
I also can't get away from bright, fiery colours. I love them. I love bright yellows, oranges and reds. I love the shock value of a dark house silhouetted against a fiery red sky. I love the mystery of what the house might be. Who is in it? What are they doing? Is the house itself an animate object?

I did a new painting last night. My third in the past couple weeks. I'm quite happy with it, although I've had to fight off feelings of worrying that my work is all looking the same, and that it's starting to look rather juvenile. I spiced it up a little differently than the others though, and ended up really being happy with it. It'll be showing up on my art blog as soon as I get a good photo of it. And then I believe it'll be heading to work with Ryan to grace the wall of his office.
That makes me feel great, knowing that my art is hanging somewhere for people to see, instead of sitting around in our storage room, waiting for me to try and get it into a cafe or restaurant.
That's one of my new year's plans, by the way. (Notice I didn't use the term "resolution"? Too much negativity linked with that word...) I'm going to look into getting some of my art into cafes and restaurants in my area. Maybe I'll be able to sell some that way. In the mean time, I'm happy to have a few friends and acquaintances who are interested in commissioning me, and for that I feel quite honoured.
So those are some of my artsy innards for you. Have a lovely, lazy, sleepy Sunday afternoon!
8 comments:
Laura, I'm so proud of you. That's great that you are painting more now. Your paintings are very beautiful. Michal and I were talking about how we all paint, but with quite different styles. It's so nice to have an artsy family.
Laura, it is amazing! I love the colors...they just move me. I love all of your art. I think you are so incredibly talented and I can't wait to showcase your work in my home some day. Man, Kev looked at it and said, "wow!"
Laura I love it! The vertical sky is so unique and creative. You must have painted that from our balcony cause it looks like the view I see every night. Love the lighting above the city.
~Share~
Ooops, I didn't mean to insinuate that the painting in this post was my new one. I did that one many moons ago. The new one is called "windswept" and is now on my art blog. Thanks for the good words, though. They fuel me.
That's gorgeous, Laura. Really.
Never NEVER say you are not good at something (like painting trees) because you are good at everything you try!
I love the painting Laura!!
Way to go. I love your unique style too.
Teresa
Ooooooohhhhhh, nice art! I love your new art blog. Great idea. We will have to purchase some of your art sometime, because one day it may be worth millions! (Not only that, but it's awesome)
Post a Comment