
This is a gorgeously artistic shot of our pooch, Sadie Blue, taken by my sister, Anna. Anna, I hope it's okay that I used it...!
Today is Sadie's last day. She's being put to sleep by a friendly and merciful veterinarian, and will be much relieved to no longer be in pain. She's 13 years old and has had quite a nice life. Here are some memories.
- When she was first brought home, I was 14, and would race home from high school to see her.
- I recall that she was quite compliant as a young dog, and allowed us on one occasion to shove her small body into the arm of my dad's black leather jacket, thus taking on the appearance of a seal, with only her shnauz and eyes poking out the cuff.
- We moved to North Van after a few years and she loved going for long hikes in the woods. She would search and search for the LARGEST possible stick (or log) to carry around. It usually either ended up being a huge, thick chunk of a fallen tree, which she heartily pulled along, or more commonly a VERY LONG STICK that she'd proudly run along with. Unfortunately for the back of our knees, she was never very aware of the fact that when she ran past us, she'd whack us and almost send us to the ground.
- I seem to recall that she loved sleeping in beds (what dog doesn't) and my sister Anna allowed her to sleep with her quite often. The rest of us said no, however, but she constantly persisted in asking. She'd come up to your bed and look at you. After a while, she'd flop her head down on the bed. Then a paw would mysteriously appear. After a while, the other paw would show up on the bed, and amazingly, her body stayed at the same height and position as it was when her paws were on the floor. If we hadn't said anything to her by that point, she'd hoist the rest of herself up there, just in time for a "Sadie! NO!"
- When the younger, more active doggy arrived, Lilu, she was a little depressed at first, but recovered rather quickly when she found that she now had some responsibility to bring this puppy into line. They played power games all the time. Sadie had the ball, and would lie next to it, apparently not interested in chewing on it. Lilu would stand by, quivering with desire and suddenly launch herself at the ball. She was never quite fast enough though, because the moment she moved, Sadie would have that ball in her mouth and playfully bat it around with her tongue before starting it all over again.
Aw Sadie, we'll miss you!
2 comments:
I really really really loved her.
She helped me all the time when I was there.
Please say "lot of Thank you" to her for me.
I wish that I could see her one more time...
Thanks for telling the story, Laura.
Miki
Sadie also could carry two tennis balls at once in her mouth. Talented, eh?
Post a Comment