Wednesday, December 03, 2008

hiding in the aisles

(Two posts in a week? SHOCKING!!)

So there I lurked, having ducked as fast as I could into Zellers, Pito in the sling and rather drowsily there as she had been fast asleep in the car. I hid behind a big "SALE!!" sign as I watched the little group of preschoolers and their teachers wait in line to see Santa. I was sure that at any moment one of the Zellers workers would be approaching me to ask, "Is there something I can help you with?", to which I'd certainly have to explain.

"Well, you see, my 3 year old daughter is over there at the Santa Claus display with her preschool class and I don't want her to see that I'm here or she'll freeze up and not go and get a picture taken...." and babble I would, for I was so giddy to see that she was not protesting, at least from afar that's what it seemed like.

One of her teachers was holding her, and I could tell from her body language that she was nervous. I knew that soon they'd go in and that would be the moment of truth. I waited, I listened, I lurked. They went in, and she didn't freak out!! I wandered out of Zellers then, because they wouldn't be able to see me now that they were with Santa. I rounded the display and peeked in from the other side. I could see her sitting on her teacher's lap, a few spots away from Santa himself. She had been so excited to show Santa her pink boots, "because Santa hasn't seen these boots before!!" I knew that it was a momentary excitement though. In the moment, the last thing she'd be thinking about was going up and talking to Santa. No, she'd be glued to her teacher. But there she sat, without protest, while her teacher kindly whispered into her ear and gave her just the confidence she needed to look at the camera (albeit with a hand half covering her face) and sit still.

Just before they took the picture, I came into view right behind the camera man, and waved. A huge smile came over her face and how I wished he had snapped the shot at that moment!! Instead, she popped that hand right back over her face and he got a shot with a half-hidden Plava. I was happy enough though. I hadn't forked out the money for a print for myself (although I had been tempted...) knowing full well that there was little chance of Plava sitting and smiling. It would be a funny picture to see though, and I hope to catch a glimpse of it at some point.

So she did it!! She was pretty proud of herself, and so was I!!! Woo hoo!!!

2 comments:

Mama Bear said...

awww....so cute. Now i wanna see that picture!

Stacy Kaye said...

YAYYYYYY Plava!