Saturday, March 28, 2009

dirty-thirties

Ryan and I went on a date last night. It was so nice to get out alone and be adults without our children running amok the whole time. We love the darn kids, but wow, what a nice peaceful time we had! We did dinner and a movie, and as we roamed the lobby area waiting until we were able to go into our theatre, I was struck by some interesting thoughts.

1 - I am feeling SO far removed, both in terms of age and culture, from the teenagers of today.
2 - Thought number 1 makes me feel really strange, like I'm quite old now.
3 - Thought number 1 and 2 make me wonder what it is about teenagehood that I pit so much of my personhood on.

Now, not to say that I am still living in my teenage brain, or that my teenage years were the best years of my life, but it seems that so much of what I think about myself now is compared to what I was like then. So much of my experiences are reflected on my experiences then. Thoughts constantly pass through my head about how different I am now (in comparison to that time), what I've done (since that time), how different my life looks (from how it looked at that time).

I have seen a good many friends sheepishly hit the big "30". I have never been very apprehensive, myself, but as the time gets closer and closer, in fact less than a month away, I find myself reflecting on my life up to this point. And what keeps surfacing? My teenage years, and how I feel absolutely unable to relate to the teens of today. No wonder people feel so OLD when they reach their thirties. It's as if my youth is very finally OVER. I'm not in my twenties anymore, which are in many ways a continuation of the youthfulness of teenagehood.

I have learned a lot about myself in these post-teenagehood years. I think the steepest learning curves were right after highschool (entering the "real world") and when I became a parent and realized that life actually didn't centre around ME, nor should it! (SHOCKING!) As a parent, I've realized that I am less laid back and spontaneous than I originally thought, and that I find comfort in a certain amount of predictability. I've learned that I am crabby like a toddler when I don't get my way. I've learned that I have a hot temper when my hormones are raging, and I need to be careful how I deal with it. I've learned that I have a LOT of patience and stamina when it comes to difficulties that I can't change. Most recently, I've been learning all about anxiety, and what it feels like to live with a constant level of it in the back of my mind.

SCHOOL. That's what's causing it currently. In fact, I think that school is what's causing it completely! It's what to do with Plava when she's ready for school. I've been researching and reading and discussing and interviewing people quite obsessively over the past many months, and although I've learned a lot, I still don't know what route to take. I am anxious.

I have considered public school, some types of private school, alternative schools, and even homeschool, and although all of these options have great things about them, they also all have problems, and things that leave me worried and nervous about the whole decision, and ultimately the day that I have to see Plava off to school.

I assure myself that the mere fact that I'm so stressed out about this is a good thing. It must show that I'm concerned for my children's best interests, and that I want the best possible thing for them. But is there a perfect answer? I just don't know. Probably not, actually.

Anyway, to add this to my list of growings and changings and happenings in my life since my teen years seems to me to be adding a 10 tonne weight to the pile. When did I become such a worrying parent? :)

So, in less than a month I'll be older. Actually, I'll only be less than a month older than I am now, but the STIGMA attached to the 30's is something new! I'm happy with life as it is right now, if not wishing it was a little less anxiety-ridden, and I hope the next few years bring adventure and excitement just like that past many have.

I'm going to be THIRTY. Thirty, and I think I'm okay with that.

3 comments:

Mama Bear said...

I thought about going into the stages of development to discuss why the teen years are important...but i don't wanna bore you with nursing crap.

But i do think about turning 30. In fact, it terrifies me! Not because it's the beginning of a new phase of life, or because i think it's old (which, it really isn't). It scares me because i'm entering my 30's with no husband and no children. THAT scares me.
I get hounded by people asking me why i'm not married yet and reminding me that my pregnancy years are 'not going to last forever'. Like they think i don't know that?

I'm scared to turn 30 because statistically my chances of finding a husband and having a family drop significantly once i'm out of my 20's.

I guess i always assumed that i would one day get married and be a mom and it never occurred to me until recently that that may never happen.

I am scared.

Anonymous said...

Wow Laura, great writeup on the tension of the teen to adult transition. I think there are things you never want to forget regarding each phase in life, and that gives us compassion and understanding for those mired in a particular developmental stage and unable to see their way thru to the next stage in life.
Hey Shelly, there's lots of time, and, as someone said to Michal, who found the right guy in her thirties, she just avoided the first round of marriage and divorce. It's worth the wait, and guys get a few more brains by the time they're 30 and start to notice the real treasures in women, that they were to dumb or immature to notice earlier. (That's from an older guys perspective).
.....from someone way older than you two

Ann Tk said...

Hi Laura,
George and I had the fortune to be living with Ken Wakeman when we were hitting the thirty. Ken was 8 years older and told us that his life finally started to look up and he was getting his equilibrium when he was in his thirties. So we had a dear friend forging ahead of us saying....hey the thirties are a good decade..come on and wade in.
Personally I somewhat remember the trauma of turning thirty but I also grew to enjoy the changing perspective that comes when one travels through the thirties.

:D