So, the first week was called "Nourish". (I forgot to tell you that!) This new week is called "Move". The week will be:
"...a look at the ways in which you move - posturewise and exercisewise - and modify the way you stand, sit, and work out by using proper alignment in a way that feeds you rather than fatigues you."
Sounds good to me.
Day 8: Practice Good Posture
This is the day that we're supposed to have one of those foam rollers I mentioned before. Did I get one? Nope!! Oh well, I'll do what I can. But the idea of this posture thing is that when you're slumped over, your muscles, and actually your whole body, are much more strained. Your body compensates for the awkward positioning by straining other areas, causing aches and pain.
SO, there's a "posture check" that he suggests you do, which is basically lying flat on the floor as comfortably as possible and noting the imbalance in your position. Does one leg turn out more than the other? Does your head want to flop to one side more than the other? That kind of thing. Then, he says to get your foam roller....and the rest is really history because I don't have one!! :)
He leads you through a "spinal reset" which is essentially lying on the roller (head to tailbone) and relaxing your back around it for a few minutes. Then you'd try the posture check again to see if it's different. Interesting, and I wish I had a darn foam roller!! I suppose I should get one.
Anyway, ta ta!
8 comments:
ARGHHHH!!!! I am behind. I am behind! I got sick and that was the end of that for a bit!
This sounds like a yoga technique where we used a rolled towel instead of a roller. Is it a paint roller he is talking about?
No not a paint roller. :) It's bigger. There's a picture of it linked with the original post where I said we'd need it. I would like to get one, but haven't yet.
Use a rolling pin. That outta align you ;-P
Foam roller.. how about one of those pipe insulating things from Home Depot? Or a pool noodle? I recall one of the most relaxing exercises from my yoga class was laying on two cedar blocks. Sounds super uncomfortable but after a moment, it was so great.
I'm intrigued by this Spent thing and put a request for the book from the library.
Okay.. maybe even the pool noodle would be too small.. Ooo.. I know.. a yoga mat that's been folded into two and then rolled. Hmm.. or perhaps a carpet that's been rolled up.
So now that it is actually May 15th, how are you doing?
Haha - I'm doing very well, just a little busy!! I'll be updating very very soon! :)
Post a Comment