You know, I decided to take a "break" from facebook for Lent. Yes, it's that time, and in my thinking back to the times when I've felt refreshed through Lent, it has been when I've said goodbye to the old computer. This time has been slightly less dramatic, and yet quite dramatic nonetheless!! Facebook, as it seems, took up a lot of time! I know that sounds like I'm stating the best-known fact in the world, but you see, I'm not the "perusing" type. I don't spend hours looking at people's photos, looking up friends to see what they've been doing. I mostly use it as a communication tool. Yes, contact for a busy mom during the day while she normally only talks to a 4 and 2 year old. Now, that's a little too dramatic, the way I just put it. I do talk to people sometimes, but it happens more often than I'd like to admit that I go through a whole day with NO contact with another adult, except perhaps the clerk at the grocery store, and that is usually less than a true person-to-person connection. But, yes. Facebook promises, or so I had been thinking, contact with other human beings perpetually throughout the day! It would be a place to chat, email, connect, find friends, rekindle friendships, feel those good old warm fuzzies!! But did it deliver? I would have to say no. What it did offer was very thrilling MOMENTS when I would log in and find that I had "7 notifications". I would feel like I was being connected with! I would feel like I was communicating with someone!! Even if all those notifications were people commenting on my witty statii or my quirky photos, it somehow was not the same as actually sitting down with a friend and a cup of tea and chatting. Nor was it like calling up a friend and hearing their voice on the other phone, complete with tone of voice, REAL laughter, sighs, and being able to "hear" them smile on the other end. So, facebook, in my life and with my needs, has been a bit of a dissapointment. I have enjoyed the joking banter back and forth, posting photos and writing creative captions, and actually making contact with some old friends (even to the point of getting together with them!), but in terms of a day-to-day connection, it has not met my needs.
I'm not missing it much. I find I have quite a bit more time now that I'm free from it. I admit to checking it BRIEFLY from time to time to see if anyone has sent me anything significant, but apart from a comment or two from friends who I have truly connected with, there has been no action. And that's a-okay with me. I may make this more of a permanent thing in the end. Maybe even for a season.
One thing I do miss though, and only because I have always loved making people laugh, is posting quirky status updates. (DON'T EVEN THINK OF SUGGESTING TWITTER!!) So in light of that, here starteth my blog statii.
Laura is....starting to wonder whether she should peel the wood glue off her fingers before starting to make dinner.
1 comment:
Isn't it funny how we all start to think of ourselves in the third person due to fb?! All day as I am busy being "housewife" I am coming up with witty third person comments about my day... sometimes it's a hit and sometimes not. I'm not sure how I feel about that.
Happy Lenting to you Laura.
Post a Comment